What about Ruger?Help Please!

ose

Inactive
Does anyone have an opinion on Ruger handguns, How do they compare to others, And is blued steel alot more maintinence or is that just a rumor?I know its less expensive than Stainless or nickle. Does it require alot more maintinence?

I recently bought a stainless P95. If you want a good shooting reliable gun for target/plinking/home defense, they are hard to beat. The P series autos aren't the most concealable guns though.

The biggest attributes for any Ruger product is toughness and reliability. They aren't the most eligent guns on the market, but I would grab a Ruger to defend my family just as quickly as Glock, Sig, and S&W.

I own and have shot many Ruger handguns. They are very popular not because they are necessarily the "best" in any particular way, but, instead, are popular for those of us who like the concept of "value." Fact is, you can pay about $325 and get a Ruger P89, 95, 97, etc., and get a pistol that will work every dang time you pull the trigger. My P89 has NEVER had a misfire or malfunction on a factory-loaded round. Not one. No jams, no stovepipes, nada. For the $, hard to beat.

For pure fun, ruger .22 handguns and rifles are a blast. Their revolvers are strong, but do not have quite as good a trigger action as Smith and Wesson. No one sells more single-action revolvers than Ruger.

Hope this helps!

Rugers are a good value for the money. IMHO they lack the elegance and finish of more expensive guns. But they're strong guns at a reasonable price from a competent manufacturer who stands behind his product.

Blued steel does require more maintenance than stainless. After all, it has a greater tendency to rust. But stainless is not maintenance-free. I'd say that the same rules generally apply to both materials. BTW, as far as I'm aware, there are no nickel Rugers.

ose, I have three Ruger firearms and I've been pleased with every one. I believe they are good value for the money.
I have a .357 SS New Model Blackhawk that I purchased in the late 70s. It has always been a good shooter and have taken hunting a lot of years. Since its SS it is very easy to maintain.
I have a Ruger MkII 10 1/2 Bullbarreled .22
Its a real good target pistol and has never left me down. This one is more of a problem in take down but has been maintained in new condition .
The next and last is a Ruger 10/22 rifle I bought used and again it shoots with no problem.
Would I recommend Ruger Yes I Would.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited January 03, 2000).]

Ose,

Here's one more opinion.

I own .......

1) a Ruger rifle: Superb, (you didn't ask)

2) a Ruger Super Single Six .22: absolutely a great revolver,

3) a Blackhawk .357 Mag: reliable, smooooth and ACCURATE and

4) a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag: I'm having a 10 inch barrel put on it so I can dear hunt with it next year.

I have owned a Redhawk in .44 Mag. It was a beautiful gun and wouldn't shoot worth a darn. I grew impatient with it. I favor single action handguns anyway, pistols or revolvers.

I have not owned, but shot several P89s and P95s. I just don't like the way they feel. Way to much volume, not enough mass (translated: they are large and feel hollow).

High quality 1911's will spoil you that way.

You didn't specify pistols or revolvers.

Regards,

Sensop

I've owned a Ruger KP95 for years. Good accurate gun. I have only recently consigned it to the safe.(bought a Walther P99)
I would recomend it :)

I carry a P97 daily CCW. Ilove it and would recomend it to anyone.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

I have been using Ruger pistols for 26 years. I have used the single actions, double actions and autos. They are superb guns. They easily measure up to any firearm on the market.

I've got 5 Rugers--a Mini-14, 10/22, Super Blackhawk, P-89, and a 22/45--and I love them all. Never had a single problem with any of them! They're all reliable, accurate enough for me, reasonably priced, and I even like the way they look. Not too crazy about the way the P-89 feels in my hand (lots of people complain about that) but a Hogue Handall makes a big difference and only costs about 10 bucks.
Bottom line? Any Ruger is gonna be a good value. Plus they're made in the USA!
At any rate, let us know what you end up buying.

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

I've got a KP944 Ruger (.40SW) semi-auto that I've had for a year and a half. 1,500 rounds and still waiting for that first mis-feed. They're not particulary pretty guns but they shoot every kind of bullet every time. My P94 is the easiest gun I've ever had to field strip, clean, and re-assemble. I'm not that good a shot, but every clip puts 10 rounds in the silhouette at 25 yards. I've dropped the gun (unloaded) without damaging it and like it's ruggedness.

I added a Hogue aftermarket grip to mine and it felt like a new gun again...

What about Ruger? They're good guns at any price and a great gun for the price that ol' Bill Ruger puts on 'em.

Hope that helps.

I own three Ruger handguns.

My first handgun ever was a stainless steel Ruger Security Six with a six inch barrel. Very BIG yet sleek.

My second handgun was a blued GP-100 with fixed sights and a three inch heavy target barrel. Still one of my favorite handguns and is currently away being customized by Ron Powers for concealed carry.

My third handgun was a Ruger P-90 that fed everything I fed it except for a bad batch of Corbon that was the ammunition's fault. It shoots better than many of my more expensive handguns. Currently this one rides under the seat of my Trans Am. Great gun all around. It can even be concealed with the proper holster and cover garment.

Since then I've grown more prosperous and bought more expensive handguns, but not many have been better than these three. In fact, I've been considering a return to Ruger for that very reason.

What kind of guns are you considering?

- Anthony

I have an old model Ruger Super Blackhawk. I have put over 10,000 rounds of .44 Magnum thru it. The only thing that tells you that it is not a new gun is some holster wear on the bluing.

I don't particularly like The Ruger p-series autos in looks and ergonomics, they work and they work well.

NOBODY has the reputation for toughness/durability/metallurgy that ruger does.

My first pistol was a ruger Mk2 .22 auto with a 5.5 in. bull barrel and target sights blued finish. I've worn the bluing off the heel of the grip shooting the gun, but its still accurate as the day it was purchased and the only malfunctions I've had were from bad loads from the factory (specifically winchester wildcats)

My other Ruger is a vaquero 44 in stainless. fit and finish are excellent, feels good in the hand and is well balanced, even when shooting full power 44 magnum loads.

My family has been VERY happy with ruger, judging by the number of black hawks, gp100's sp101's M77's and mini's floating around with my relatives.

I wish ruger had spent a little more time creating an "elegant" looking centerfire autopistol, but they sure can make an affordable and reliable weapon.

my 2¢

Dr.Rob

Well as my name implies, I am a blackhawk fan.

I own several rugers including two #1 rifles, M77 .308, M77/22 all weather, M77/22 stainless target, MkII Slabside, Number blackhawks, and super blackhawks, one Super Redhawk and a lot of 10/22.

All the guns perform beautifully. I carry a p-90 .45 for my carry gun. Yes it is big, but the darn thing never jams, and shots any ammo I care to feed it.

In a word. RUGER IS KING.

All the others are good and reliable, but dollar for dollar, I would bet my life on Ruger. I do everyday.

Judge Blackhawk

Governments ability to control is directly related to its ability to disarm - - Judge Blackhawk

IMHO - if you live in a high humidity area - S. Louisiana, Florida, etc. then yes - blue does require more care than stainless. Elsewhere (except for salt water areas), some - but not much. Salt water or high humidity areas - Turtle wax on the exterior and immediate cleaning after use will ameleoriate most of the problem differences between blue and ss. In those areas - not a bad idea with ss.

As for Ruger vs. all the others - I can only ecco the comments already posted.

------------------
Jim Fox

I'll put my $.02 in. I own one Ruger, a .44 mag Blackhawk Hunter model with the 7.5" barrel. With open sites I can leave a tattered hole at 25 yrds and can really reach out there with the addition of my 2X Leupold scope. I've enjoyed that pistol as much as any I've owned, and the accuracy impresses a lot of people (even the Freedom Arms toting guys I sometimes shoot with). I can't say if this is indicative of all of Rugers products, but I'm sure happy with mine.

I own a P85, P90, and Mk II. I have no complaints regarding reliability or accuracy for the purposes they were designed. Never had a jam in any of them. The P85 shoots 4" groups at 25 yards, the P90 is about the same (in my hands, versus 1-2" groups with my Kimber). I would recommend them unconditionally!

Back