What a week!

Wild Child

What a week! Saturday after what seem for ever I finally got my CCW. Then yesterday seven people where murdered by a co-worker. What a world we live in you cannot even feel safe sitting at your desk any more. So today for the first time since leaving the ARMY(quite different circumstances) I am carrying full time. I also plan to keep this practice up whenever legal since you really never know when someone is going to lose it. Other than a somewhat higher level of attention to my surroundings at least compared to my friends and co-workers I have never felt endangered before. I really only applied for the CCW because it was easy to get and I go to the range a lot. I've never felt a NEED to carry before. How ever I do now.

Could some of you more experienced people tell me what made you decide to carry and also how you got over the feeling that everybody who is looking your way seems to staring at your side arm?

WC:

I decided to carry because I value my life and the lives of my loved ones (and those of innocent stangers/would be victims) more than those of sociopaths, BGs, goblines, et al.

I know the feeling...the only way to get over it is a handgun/leather/carry method in which you have absolute confidence in regarding concealment. Achieving this feeling mo' quickly is aided by rigorous, regular practice. Don't worry...it will pass.

Mike

Wildchild, A couple of points.
1. Make absolutely sure that your employer will not terminate you for carrying. While you are legal to carry, employers also may restrict your carry in their workplace. You do not want to find this out the hard way (getting fired). If your boss doesn't care - preferably says so in writing - DO NOT discuss the fact that you carry with ANYONE who works with you. I can't tell you how many "tips" that I have responded to on "Man with a gun" calls because someone they told snitched them off - save your self the hassle and don't discuss it.
2. Remember to know the laws in your state that regulate CCW (it would be best to get a copy to have for review)and that regardless of whether you carry a gun or not - you are not the police (here in Oklahoma that is pronounced "Poh-leese") and if you see a crime occur - call 911, but do not intervene unless the laws of your state allow it.
3. I often can tell if someone is carrying by their body language. They will do things that call attention (if you look - which I do) to the fact that they are carrying. What things you ask? Well, they will touch or feel their gun as they walk (I guess to reassure themselves that it is still there). As they stand up males will often pull up on their belt to adjust it on the hips. As they walk they will have the arm on their carry side a little father away from the body to avoid constantly hitting the gun as the arms swing. And the biggie - they will "accidently" show the gun just to let others know "I've got the power".
Any of these behaviors will definately attract attention, and if you are carrying somewhere you shouldn't be - then you might have a problem.
Just be careful, be smart, and keep your mouth shut about it.

WC, I have been "carrying" for a couple of years now. I decided to get my CHL becuase I am of the philosophy that I alone am responsible for the safety of my family and myself. I will depend on no other.

There was no specific traumatic event that prompted this decision. All I can say is that I have learned a great deal about politics, this country and people in general over the last several years. I learned that the piliticians - local, state and federal - do not give a flying hoot about my safety. They will **say** that they do, but their actions prove otherwise.

They only want the power brought by election. But I digress ;)...

After the initial first 2 months of mild anxiety from "carrying" you will begin to forget you have the weapon on you. Some advice: carry it everywhere you are legally able to. Do not leave it in the house for a short trip to the store. Do not leave it in the car when you run in to pay for gas. Always carry it. Soon you will feel strange without it. Welcome to the "I take care of myself" club!

Be safe.

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.

Could some of you more experienced people tell me what made you decide to carry and also how you got over the feeling that everybody who is looking your way seems to staring at your side arm?

The feeling generally goes away after a while. When a thousand people have looked at you, walked by you, bumped into you, etc. with no unusual reaction, you realize that indeed most people don't notice, and wouldn't even if they were looking very fixedly at the appropriate spot.

WC,

I carry openly 95% of the time. I keep a shirt in my truck to cover up whenever I need to go into an establishment that may question my exercising personal responsibility.

It took about 2-3 months before I began to feel comfortable carrying, and to field the questions with some proficiency.

What turned me toward carrying was a dream that I had in which I was mugged and shot. It was so vivid that I could not sleep the rest of the night. The next day I purchased my first handgun. (With the blessing of my wife, I might add!)

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

There are four very good reasons that got me to carry. Wife, two sons and the daily paper.

As for the feeling of being stared at, it goes away in time. 98% of the people you meet don't have the faintest idea what to look for or even know that they should be looking. I've stood right next to police officers in lines at food places, stores, etc. and not one of them has ever noticed I was carrying. Heck, I was once at an event where the entire MPD SWAT team was wandering among the group and none of them noticed.
The real key here is for you to get comfortable with being armed. The biggest threat to being discovered is your own behavior.

Congrats!

All of the above are great reasons and sum up what I was going to say.

I carry because I alone am responsible for the protection of myself and my family - no one else. I am very supportive of law enforcement, but also realize that the police cannot be everywhere at once to protect everyone. Most of the time, when bad things happen, police aren't around to save you, they can only clean up afterwards. Bearing arms is a right that's protected by the 2nd, and should be every citizen's responsibility. Just think, what if every honest citizen were trained and armed? Oh well, one can dream...

Yes, it will be really weird the first few weeks/months of carrying a concealed handgun. You'll think that everyone's staring at you and that someone's going to call the cops who will make an armed felon arrest. But it goes away. 99% of the people you pass on the street won't give you a second look. I've done it for so long now I feel naked if I go out without it!

KC makes great points:
Check things out with your boss. While you might have a "legal" right to carry with a permit, your employer may very well fire you for doing it at work. You must make the choice and weigh your career against your safety.
DON'T think that your permit makes you a cop! DON'T use your permit as an excuse to find trouble. It's for use only in serious situations where life and limb are in danger. Basically don't do anything with your permit that you wouldn't do without it. If anything, be more polite and respectful than you were before you got it.

I, too, have stood next to citizens/employees/LEOs in grocery stores, gas stations, etc without them ever knowing I was carrying a pistol and close to 50 rounds of ammunition. :) Just make sure that no one can see the weapon, or see anything that would make them suspect it's a weapon, and you can carry to your heart's content.

IWB holsters are great for concealing. If it's OWB on your hip, you might have to change your wardrobe a bit...look into larger sizes of clothing, light jackets, etc.

Pick a good concealment system, practice practice practice, and above all else, be safe. Good luck.

Our Deputy friend here makes a couple of good points. All of my friends here at work know I shoot. They know I compete in IDPA and bowling pins. They know it is against company policy to carry on company property including the parking garage.

I have been asked several times if I am armed. My answer.."I will not answer that question. It is a against company policy to have any type of weapon here." Normally they just look at me and smile... and later.. after dark.. the ladies ask me to walk them to their cars.

I do my best to avoid giving any of the telltale signs mentioned here. The one I have trouble with is adjusting my shirt. When I am carrying...(not saying when that is) I use a Milt Sparks Versa MAX II. It's hot here in Texas. Jackets are not advised most of the year. I needed a rig that would let me carry under a normal shirt. But sitting for a period of time CAN allow the shirt to wedge itself between the pistol and my body. I find I have to be careful not to stand up and then "print" in that condition. So a very subtle outward tug on the shirt is required while standing up to make sure I am still totaly concealed.

Finally... as out friend mentions.. I have NO power... other than that of protecting MY LIFE and the lives of my loved ones. I am not a LOE. I am a computer marketer. I never let the two become confused. I carry to save my life and those I care about ONLY in the event we are threatened to the point I believe we are in mortal danger. Until we reach the "mortal danger" stage, no one should know I am armed.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

Congratulations, Wild. I received my CHL last Friday. I'm feeling the same carry anxiety as you are, but I am told it goes away after a while. I posted over in the Handguns section and received some good feedback about concealment methods, if you're interested.

I got the CHL because I believe my life and the lives of my friends and loved ones are worth something, and further believe in the right to defend those lives.

BTW, I am not allowed by company policy to carry at work.

Most of my sentiments are noted above.

I also carry because I am primarily responsible for my safety, and my family's safety. Also, while it is extremely unlikely, if I'm ever in a situation where we have a nutcase murdering innocent others, then I want to be able to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. [Please, no long lectures about how civilians with CCW's are not LEO's. I know. I've taken a good deal of training, I know not to initiate a gun fight when it's not necessary, and I don't have a hero complex. I also know that I refuse to run away if a nutcase is killing innocent, defenseless people and I could stop it.] I've also 'done the math', and recognize that LEO's usually cannot arrive in time to prevent bloodshed.

I know what you mean by feeling your firearm is obvious to others. I felt exactly the same way for awhile. Indeed, you'll be surprised after awhile that no one notices. My circumstances require deep concealment, and I was sure at first that some people would see the bulge and wonder if I was really that 'manly'. ;) But smart people have been working on these issues a long time, and many of these concealment rigs work great. It is a matter of experimentation, so just assume your first holster will not be your last, and you may go through a few to find the best arrangement for you.

Finally, recognize that the media is hyping this issue tremendously right now. We have a much larger population than we did in the 50's (for example). That plus some societal changes has left us with a higher rate of violence. But, the rate of violence has actually been decreasing in recent years, according to U.S. Department of Justice stat's. The anti-self defense movement, supported by an incredibly biased media (lacking any perspective, apparently), are working overtime to make you aware of every workplace shooting. Seattle, for example - why is a double murder there a national news story? Only because some nutcase murdered 7 in Hawaii. They're beating a drum - in spite of an actual downtrend in violence. You're still generally safe at work, unless you work for the U.S. Postal Service. ;)

You're not going to know if and when you'll need your firearm. If you knew, then you would probably avoid the situation. I put mine on each morning, just like my watch. Paranoid? Not in my perspective - just prepared. Murphy's Law still holds. I always find this part of the conversation with anti's very interesting. They'll go on and on about how we need to ban guns because they 'kill people', and they're dangerous and so on. They fear a world with guns, except for guns in the hands of the military and LEO's (ironic, considering history - see www.jpfo.org ). But if I have concerns about violence in that same world, and choose to take responsibility for my own defense, well then I'm 'paranoid'. Interesting contradiction.

Most of the folks on TFL have many years of experience in this regard - for me, much of this is new in the last year. You are going through a metamorphosis, from someone who never really considered how to deal with violence, to a more mature human being who is willing to take action to improve your safety and your family's safety. You are learning how to use safety rescue equipment. It takes time, and the training is never over. It is a physical adaptation to carrying and efficiently using a new tool, it is mental conditioning to improve your awareness and perception, it will include a bit of law so that you understand the legal minefields we're in, and it is a political and philosophical evolution as you search for logical truths that many others ignore. It is much more than just strapping on a gun. But, it's worth it.

I'm glad I'm making this journey, and I'm doing my best to help my friends and family consider the same truths. It isn't for everyone. Congratulations on your decision.

I can't remember a time in my life when I DID'NT have access to a gun, (grew up on a farm) so firearms just seemed so familiar that I rarely gave it a second thought...then I got my Concealed Pistol Permit (that's what it's called in this state). After carrying for the past 15 plus years (I've had my CCW since the age of 18) so much has changed with regard to myself and the world, that my entire perspective on my adult life has been molded greatly because of carrying on a daily basis. Things that I would have percieved as threats years ago seem quite innocuous today and vice-versa. I'm more alert and aware of my surroundings than most of my friends seem to be, and that has served me well. Incidents over the years have shown me that there ARE individuals out there who wish to do harm to another for no reason, and your "gut" will usually tell you before you know; listen. Above all, DON'T PANIC. If you keep your head, you'll be fine; and more importantly so will the people who you care about. Some will never understand why you made the decision you have, others will accept it openly. This alone can tell you a lot about a person. Don't worry, you'll get used to carrying, but it will change you in subtle ways, and, by necessity, will make you walk a finer line in life than most other people. KC's advice is sage indeed, take it. I never realized what a difference this has made in my life until I was in a boating accident, and became partially paralyzed. Part of my body is no longer able to physically fend off an attack, so my sidearm is more important to me than ever before. And having it there these last 15 years has prepared me better for what I have to face now, and made me a better, stronger person. OK enough philosophy, I have some cases to prime! Take Care & Good Luck- Dakotan

Back