What 9mm to get?

Gunz387

I currently own and carry three different Glock pistols, the G22, G23 and G27. These are all nice pistols but I don’t really like the way they fit my hands and their trigger pull.
Now I want a 9mm because of its affordable ammo and wide spread use. I don’t want a glock for the reasons I have mentioned, but this new full size 9mm has to have the following features. High capacity mags easily available, single action only capabilities, extreme reliability, above average accuracy, parts and add ons avaliable, and something that is still going to be carried by many down the road.
I will be using this pistol at first only for target practice until I become more familiar with it and I feel as confident or hopefully more confident with it than with my glocks. Then it will serve many other purposes such as a carry gun, accompanying my moss 500 persuader at night and a bug out pistol if things ever get bad. (You can carry allot more 9mm ammo than something bigger, where both will get the job done equaly).

I have been thinking about a BHP but How much longer do you think they will be a comin combat pistol now that browning stoped importing them to the US? I also heard that one wouldnt be sufficent unless I put in lots of $$$$$ for a gun smith. Is this true? Does a beretta 92fs meet all these requirments? Are they capable of being carried cocked and locked? Even if this means cocking the hammer manualy? Which way do you push the safety to fire up or down? In some photos it looks like you must push them up to fire and that seems hard to do to me???

Any Ideas will be GREATLY appreciated. I have been pondering on this purchase for 2 months already and still didn’t come up with a pistol yet. I am hoping that there is someone on this board that can help out.

Thanks again,
Reed

------------------
Criminals prefer unarmed victims

[This message has been edited by Gunz387 (edited December 11, 1999).]

There is a Beretta knockoff, it might be the Taurus one, that allows cocked and locked for the 92fs design. I have a Beretta 92fs and it's my favorite 9mm.

The answer to your problem is quite simple.
Go buy the Walther P99 in 9mm.
The grips can be customized to fit your hand with a simple adjustment.
The trigger is double or single action,your choice. High cap 16rd mags can be obtained easily. They are expensive though, but what hi-cap isn't these days.
The pistol has an intergral equipment rail for lasers,lights, etc.
All this can be had from Earl's repair Service in Tewksbury MA.
In case you missed it elswhere, Earl' e-mail address is: [waltherusa@mediaone.net]
Phone: (978) 851-2656
Now go do the right thing and buy that Walther.
Oh yes, you can help finance the deal by selling off those (cough,cough)Glocks :) :)

[This message has been edited by denfoote (edited December 11, 1999).]

You might check out the CZ75b or the
HK USP 9 Full Size, both of these
pistols are da/sa but can be carried
cocked and locked. I don't think you
can lock the Beretta while it is cocked.

The Browning HP mag capacity is only
13 for the "full capacity" mags. Also,
these pistols are getting higher than a
cat's back. I was at a gunshow in Mesquite
TX today and saw a new one with tangent
sights for $599, probably only had ten
round mags with it. I saw several used ones
that were also over priced.

There are 1911 style pistols available in
9mm but I don't know what kind of mag
capacities are available.

You are kind narrowing the field by wanting
a single action only 9x19. Maybe someone
else can add to what I have suggested.
Good Luck.

Greetings Sir, I would still opt for one of
the current production model BHP's. I prefer
their "Practical Model", with fixed sight's
and Pachmayr Signature grips. Don't believe
all the BS about having to get a smith to
work it over!!! Right of of the box, it will
digest anything (9m/m) that you can put thru
it. I have had mine for over a year now; and
truly love it. And that's saying a lot coming
from a Sig fan !!!

Best Wishes,

------------------
Ala Dan

Listen to Greg, check out CZ75B and HK USP9,
preferably together. I know what you'll buy.
I did this trick to myself. CZ75 is a dangerous pistol - as soon as you touch it,
you want it real bad...

Reed,

I know what you mean about Glock pistols. I have a G19. It is a really nice combat type pistol, but the grip angle and width are not the best design IMHO. And the trigger is a major comprimise between usability and safety. I try to shoot my G19 whenever I go to the range, but my other 2 9mm are just so much more fun to shoot.

I have a 92FS and a CZ 75B. Both are SO much better shooters than my G19. Unfortunately, they are also pretty large for a CCW gun, so I went to the G19. If you want a bedside/car gun, both of these pistols would be very high on the list of possible guns. As for CCW, well, that's something else... Maybe your style of carry would lend itself to these guns, but down here is South Florida I need something a bit smaller. ;)

I consider the CZ to be an updated version of the Highpower. It really is that good! And MUCH cheaper also. You can rule out the 92FS because of your prefrence for cocked and locked. As timrh23 said, Taurus makes a clone that can be carried that way. CZ also makes a CZ 75 Compact, a nice gun, but I don't think there are any hicap mags for it.

HTH, and good hunting.

You can buy preban hicaps for Sphinx pistols and convert them easily to function in a CZ75 Compact. Last I checked CDNN had them for about $40.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Gunz387, The safety is moved up to get to the firing position . It really is pretty easy to do and feels pretty natural to me. I was looking at the Border Marshall today at the local shop it is a pretty good looking, good feeling gun. Shake

Get a Hi-power while you still can. You won't regret it. And they do work right out of the box, no gunsmithing needed. People who customize the BHP do so because they want to, not because they have to.

Hi,
You should check out the CZ75B its a great
pistol. In my opnion it has the most comfortable grip in any pistol I've fired...yes its grip is better than the Hi Power. It has a higher mag capacity than the Hi Power, its a lot cheaper($320+)than either the Beretta 92F or the Browning. Hi capacity mags are still available from CZ-USA
($35-$45).Its slightly larger than the Hi- Power and slightly smaller than the Beretta.
It is DA/SA and it can be cocked and locked.It is also made of good old steel, not aluminium alloy or plastic.

Sig P226 with (2) hi cap mags generally $460-$480 used. Reported to be the most accurate 9mm under $500 used. P228 is designed for concealed carry and coveted by federal agents.

Berretta's aren't known for their accuacy. Why have the Brigadier model unless the 92 was experiencing breakages. NUF said.

Walther p99/ SW 99 - just tested out a friend's at the range last Friday. Horrible trigger, gritty, rough but crisp but you have the longest trigger travel I've ever seen on a gun. The Walther had a very loose feel to it like they didn't focus on tolerances. Ammo sensitive, my glocks and sigs will digest jacketed rat turd powered by rodent farts but this Walther choked on some sweet relaods producing 2" groups at 50 feet. why pay $600 for that!

Hi-Powers are great guns but most people end up tinkering or getting a trigger job. I want an out the box accurate and reliable gun - no smithing needed.

HKP7 - squeeze cocker, must have for the 9mm collector and it's got a 4" barrel in a concealed carry design but it's $750 used.

I'd go with the P226 or P228 as your best values.

------------------

The Seattle Shooter

This has got to be the quote of the year: "my glocks and sigs will digest jacketed rat turd powered by rodent farts..." LOL!

One of my buddies, a not very swift but kindly fellow, once went to the range with his Glock 19 and came back complaining of horrid groups with the new shorter bullets he had bought. He shot a box of 380 through the Glock and it fed them reliably.

BTW If you like the CZ75 you can get it converted to SA only rather easily. Plenty of 15 rounds preban mags are still available. Last I heard CZUSA had them for $35 each.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Get a CZ 75B and be happy. For a target gun consider installing adjustable rear sight and lightening of trigger pull (by a respectable smith). Change the plastic grips to rubber. You now have everything you asked for including the cocked & locked carry mode.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

------------------
jj0287

Gunz,
From the specs you set out in your question there is only one 9mm that fits the bill, the Browning High Power. Pick up a Brownell's catalog and compare the availability of parts and accesories for it compared to these other guns suggested. At one time or the other the BHP was the standard sidearm for the armies of around seventy countries. They are well made, balance well, have a very nice grip size and angle and are imbued with a gracefulness that is sadly lacking in other designs.
Accuracy? Don't let the somewhat heavy trigger mislead you. I have owned and fired Taurus, S&Ws, Walthers, Berettas, Sigs, and
Glocks; among others. But the most accurate 9mmP I ever picked up was a late production Portugese High Power with the third generation adjustable sights. Out of the box inch and a half groups five round groups at 25 yards. And if you do want to lighten that trigger, kits are readily available and there are gunsmiths galore that already have intimate knowledge of the BHP.
Simply put, it is a classic. It was the last product of John Moses Browning's genius and some argue the best. If I had to choose just one full size 9mmP, the High Power would be the hands down winner with any second place finisher far behind. And with the situation being what it is on future manufacturing of High Powers, it could very well be a nice investment, too.
Good luck sir.

Take care and God bless,
Paladin

Tecolote,

I'm VERY interested in you comment about converting Sphinx high-cap magazines to work in the CZ75 Compact. I really like this pistol a LOT except for the lack of high-caps. I've even ordered some standard CZ75 magazines to carry as backups, but I figured I'd be stuck with 10-rounders to carry in the gun (without another 3/4" of magazine sticking out of the grip).

What type of "conversion" is necessary? I'm not familiar with the Spinx, but I'm about to find some and order them while I still can (I'm a Californian, so I can't legally buy high-caps after December 31st). Please tell me more. Thanks.

Doug

Why not the original... get a Luger!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Gotta agree with the Browning HiPower.
Have used everything from Luger, P38, Beretta, etc. but the Portugese HiPower
with fixed sites will still take my vote.
NOTHING is so fast for repeat shots as the weight of the parts balances out so well that it just pops back to "on target."
I regret selling my 3 gun set but that's spilt milk.
I had a gunsmith crispen (?) up the trigger so the minute amount of creep is gone.
But if you are not a stickler on a PERFECT trigger pull, it will do fine right out of box. Tack driving accuracy even though the gun feels loose. The new models have the firing pin block so even with single action only they are safe.
And the feel is P E R F E C T.

I read your post and instantly thought my Glock 34 would be the perfect gun. I love the finger grooves and balance of the gun. Crisp 3.5 lb pull.

Back