What 45LC for rifle do you prefer?

Rockrivr1

In a buy/sell/trade I acquired a very nice Uberti 1860 Henry in 45LC/Colt imported by Navy Arms. She has a nice 24.5 octagon barrel and the lever action is very smooth. So I was looking at different ammo and am wondering for anyone who has a rifle in 45LC, what grain bullet you get the best performance with. I'm seeing 185s, 200s, 225s, 230s, 250s and 255s. I know each rifle is different but I'm trying to narrow down a range to try.

I'd like to find something that will work well with the Uberti as well as reasonably well with a Ruger Vaquero in 45LC as well. I've seen some posts indicating 200gr seems to be a good starting point, but figured I'd see what everyone here is using.

Thanks

For plinking and unimportant game, I just use whatever cast bullets I find cheapest. Usually, those are 185 or 200 grainers meant for the .45 ACP. But I did find some 300 grainers for only 8 cents apiece last fall, so I got enough to last a while. For more important uses, I've always liked Gold Dots in their various flavors, and when they finally came back in stock at Midway USA, I ordered some 250 grainers- they now call these "Deep Curl" (for their hunting lineup) instead of Gold Dot, but they're pretty much the same bullet. I haven't gotten to try 'em on game myself yet, but based on testing reports I've read, and my experience with 'em in the past, I have high hopes.

I have used the same load for many years for both my 45LC Pistols & Rifles. 7grs of Win 231 and a 250- 255gr Hard Cast LRNFP bullets work very well for me. On any thing, I want to use one of my 45LC`s for.
ken

Back