What .45?

GunFreek

Inactive
Im looking to buy a .45 next month. But I dont know what one to get. Im looking at the Kimber Custom II or the Springfield Custom. This is going to used mostly for range shooting and home prootection. What one should I go for and why?

-Thanks the Newbie!

Springfield. Lifetime warranty,great customer service and they aren't overpriced. By the way,they shoot pretty darn good too!

The Springfield is a more robust pistol... better suited to higher volumes of fire.
The Kimber gets a lot of nice finishing and beveling and all that to make it a bit dressier and better looking. More of an uptown gun that really doesnt like to be fired as much as a Springfield. (But Kimber owners will argue that to death)

So it really depends on What you plan on using the gun for.

Sig 220
HK usp 45
Glock 21

These are some of the other alternatives. You didn't specify whether you wanted a 1911 style or da/sa. IMHO Kimbers are ok.I own one and it is very accurate. There have been some FTF and FTE of which are being worked on by a gunsmith. The Springfield has a better warranty (lifetime+excellent customer svc.) Accurate also. Of the two I probably would choose the Springfield. I believe it has no MIM parts in it. From the specimen I once owned, everything was machined. IMHO, I believe machined parts are of higher quality than MIM parts. I own two sig p220 and I have found them to be completely reliable out of the box as well as astonishingly accurate. Drawbacks are they may require more maintenance due to corrosion issues and cracked frames. Frame cracks have been attributed to the roll pin (holds breech block) coming loose and coming out of the slide causing uneven wear on one side leading to a cracked frame. The corrosion issue I think is operator error. If you don't lube and store your firearm properly, it will rust. As of yet I have not had a corrosion problem. That is not to say they do not exist. Another option would be the Glock 21. Easy to maintain, accurate, relatively inexpensive and with GSSF membership, a lifetime warranty. Some people complain about the trigger. Its all in the eye of the beholder. I also own an HK tactical. Very accurate, very reliable, somewhat expensive. The sights are rather high. I think it was to accomodate a suppressor. I personally think you could really hurt someone with the front sight. Anyway, I hope this helps. My personal preference would be the Glock 21. Its probably the easiest to repair as far as parts replacement is concerned. Parts are fairly cheap and abundant. Again, just my opinion.

Don't have any experience with the particular model of Springfield in question, but I have had five Kimbers and shot them extensively with no jams or breakage. They are excellent, accurate, reliable pistols and I highly recommend them.

Sorry guys the Springfild I was looking at was the Loaded 1911-A1 and the Kimber Custom II. Im looking for good reliable accurate range gun right out of the box. Its also going to be the gun protecting my family so I want the best.

If you want a 1911 style, take your pick of whatever floats your boat, if you want something else, I'd say take a serious look at the HK USP

I bought a fullsize Springfield Arms SS "Loaded" model the first of this year. I have put about 250 rounds through it and it shoots graet. I would not hesitate to buy either a S.A. or Kimber as these are both great guns, but I caught a deal and only paid $505 for my SS Loaded model new.

I own two Springfields and one Kimber. If you want a good range gun and a good HD gun, either one will fullfil your needs.

The Kimber I own is a Gold Match, and it is so accurate that I use it for bullseye shooting. But, if I put the full strength spring back in, it is still extremely accurate and 100% dependable. After all the talk about MIM parts, I have over 10,000 full house rounds (230 gr ball at over 1000 fps) and about 9000 rounds of bullseye (200 gr SWC at about 750 fps) through this gun with only spring changes.

I have a bottom end full size 1911 Springfield that is very accurate, but I have only shot a couple of thousand rounds through it. No changes to it, the only problem was my reloads; it has a tight chamber, and doesn't like some of my older brass. Not the guns fault.

The other Springfield is a Springfield Champion. I got this not that long ago, but have tested it with several boxes of Federal Hydrashoks with aboslutely no problems. The previous owner had also tested it extensively.

Kimber - higher quality, better looks, more accurate.

Springfield - less expensive, just as dependable.

Either is a good choice. Just my opinion.

Casey

g21
me personally not like the sa 1911, the safety seemed kinda gravelly and not to be fitted in very well
the trigger was nice though
i just wish i could find a 1911 that fit my big old hand better
for now i will stick with my g21-it shoots great
over 1000 rounds and NO problems
very accurate
and once you get used to the trigger it is a sweet shootin weapon
later
TOG

Back