What .45-70 Ammo for Cows?

AR BLACK

I've got a Ruger #1 chambered in .45-70. What ammo would be good for hunting ELK (yes, the female elk is called a cow. No, I'm not going hunting on my neighbors farm, hehe).

I plan to be fairly close (50 yards or less) and hidden in a blind. This rifle has open sights.

Thanks,

------------------
Blackie
NRA, GOA, ISRA

A good friend of mine had OK results with the Remington 405 grain stuff. Not much expansion, but good penetration on a Bison.

I would either use that or some of the Garret ammo. Garret markets ammo with a hard cast bullet and pretty much max velocity for the Marlins. Your Ruger should be quite at ease with that load.

Giz

------------------

"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited August 12, 1999).]

AR. I'm wise to you. Slow elk is it? Sreiously, Gizmo has got it right. I would not recommend any bullet lighter than 400 grains. The Garrets sound like a plan, if your #1 likes them. They can be somewhat tempermental at times.
I drew a cow tag too, so I plan on using my .35 Whelan. The ranges where I am going are a bit too far to use a 45-70. I've tried for the last 20 years to get a buffalo tag, but drawing one takes an act of God. I have a 525 gr. cast lead load at 1800 FPS worked up for my 45-70 #1, just for buff. Kicks like hell but should do the job. Now all I need is the darn tag.
Good luck on your cow hunt.
Paul B.

At 50 yards, the Remington will get the job done. It is, however, so completely under-loaded in comparison to your #1, you really are losing a lot of potential, and I tend to enjoy that "overgunned" feeling when I'm hunting with iron sights. It breeds confidence.

BTW, since the #1 is not a traditional-style rifle, why not mount a receiver peep on it? They sure make iron sights easier, and you can put a Williams on, gunsmithing included, for about $60, or a Lyman for about $90.

I've been wanting a #1 in .45-70 since I was 14. One of these days I'll scratch that itch.

Back