What 223 bullet is this?

lugerstew

Went to the 200 yd range today, while setting my target up, I found hundreds of 223 Police and Swat practice brass, mostly FC and LC. They are supposed to pick up after themselves, but hey, I will take about 400 once fired 223 brass.
Anyway, with the empties, there were these 2 that didn't get fired. I think I recognize the one on the left as a 55g fmj. But the one on the right I have never seen before, I was just going to disassemble them as usual, but what if it is some strange, incenderary, tracer or something dangerous? anyone know?

Attachments

• 223 range pick up.jpg
    223 range pick up.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 221

We find the same thing at our club. The police get free use of one of the ranges for training and practice, and, in general, the police don't police their brass. Don't know why.

Thanks everyone, it is so great to have so many knowledgeable people to rely on, I learn something on this forum almost every day, and I just enjoy learning new things about reloading and guns and ammo.
Thanks again everyone, and Happy Holidays.

I can tell you exactly why. Cause we don't get to keep it... so it's basically just a clean up chore at the end of training.

Yes, but the military makes their guys do it at Camp Perry, and our range has signs posted asking that it be done. When it isn't done, the club members have to do it for them. We find a number of live rounds as well as a lot of brass that way.

I was going to guess most police-owned ranges don't ask for brass policing because they don't want people going forward of the firing line to collect it during training, for safety reasons. Plus, if the range is indoors, they probably can then just sweep it up for reloading or scrapping. Thus, habits are formed.

Yes, but the military makes their guys do it at Camp Perry, and our range has signs posted asking that it be done. When it isn't done, the club members have to do it for them. We find a number of live rounds as well as a lot of brass that way.

I was going to guess most police-owned ranges don't ask for brass policing because they don't want people going forward of the firing line to collect it during training, for safety reasons. Plus, if the range is indoors, they probably can then just sweep it up for reloading or scrapping. Thus, habits are formed.
after each training session they generally have us spend about 20min picking up brass to keep the range clean. Generally they just recycle is as scrap from my understanding... a waste IMHO....

That would be nice.. however most of them have some sort of contract with a scrap agency in place. Government red tape garbage. I even asked about buying it for the same price, but said they had a contract and they would be violating it if they sold to me instead...... Trust me, I have tried several times.... 5gal buckets full of brass are motivating, but I hit dead ends at every turn. Stupid bureaucratic nonsense.... smh

You were right, definitely a frangible bullet, when I went to pull it with my RCBS collet puller, the top half of the bullet broke away from the bottom half that was still crimped in the neck of the brass, weird stuff.

Back