Wet Tumbler

PreLockSmith

Inactive
Hi guys, does anyone have any experience with the Lortone range of tumblers? Ive tried searching but there doesnt appear to be much info on here. From what I have read they are supposed to be fairly well made & quiet.

They appear to be round drums, like the Harbor Freight drums, and a number of folks use those. Drums with polygonal profiles lift the contents and drop them on each other, which is theoretically more aggressive action, so I suspect the only penalty for a smooth interior drum surface is perhaps having to run it a bit longer for the same degree of cleaning. But even that much, I don't know from experience. I've been using one of the crashing gravel sound Frankford Arsenal units for this purpose as well as a quieter older Thumbler's Tumbler, and both have polygonal drum barrels.

for that kind of money, you could get a frankford case tumbler. any particular reason your wanting to get and repurpose a rock tumbler, instead of just buying a brass tumbler?

I built my own wet tumbler for about $100. I used an old washing machine motor that was way more power than I really needed but it worked. A few bearings from the local Ag store, two sticks 5/8" OD tubing, a couple of belts & pullies, I was ready to clean brass.
I used a 4"x 2' piece of PVC drain pipe & glued two cut in half pieces of 3/4" PVC on the inside to get brass to tumble, I put a cap on one end & a threaded cap on the other end.
I can tumble about 1500 9mm or about 700 223/5.56 at one time.

I had used an RCBS for years; they even rebuilt it for me once. The bearings went on it. The drum finally started to leak, and I couldn't find a replacement. The new RCBS is a Franklin in green and a lot more expensive, so I went with the latter.

Here in Australia the Frankfords are roughly another $100 more. I am looking at the Lortone tumblers as they appear to be of a higher quality than most of the other others available & theres no shortage of spare parts of them for when something needs replacing. They also appear to have a moulded rubber barrel so should run quieter in theory & are made in the US as opposed to China like the Lymans etc. Thanks for the replies guys, I might just have to take a chance on one.

Back