wet tumble coating

kxkid

I am trying the wet tumble method. I have a question what does it mean when the powder coat rubs off after curing with acetone? Does this both with the wet tumble and dry tumble method.

I think he means before baking???

It will come off very easy before baking, completely normal, if its coming off after baking Id guess,you have grease,or something preventing the coating from adhering.

I have a question what does it mean when the powder coat rubs off after curing with acetone?

Acetone doesn't do the curing it's only a carrier for the powder coat media when using the wet coating process. The acetone evaporates or is vaporized during the baking process which actually cures the powder an causes it to bond to the bullet.

The same holds true for the dry coating methods but static electricity generated by the tumbling or spraying with a PC gun replaces the acetone and causes the powder to bond to the bullet surface till it's baked on an cured.

using standard powder coat. It comes off after it is baked with acetone. They shot great though at 7 yards, any farther and they were all over the place.

It comes off after it is baked with acetone

I am probably just slow. But are you using acetone on it after after baking?

If you are then I would expect the solvent to take it off.

Using standard powder coat. It comes off after it is baked with acetone. They shot great though at 7 yards, any farther and they were all over the place.

At this point I think it would be a good idea to explain your process step by step in order so those of us that are familiar with the process can see what your doing.

using the standard wet tumble process, I saw someone rub a finished bullet with acetone and said that if the powder coat does not rub off it was done correct, and if it does it was done wrong.

Find an old tupper ware with a good fitting lid. Dump in about 3/4 cup of powder, maybe a couple hundred bullets and shake a little, doesnt take much, use a pair of needle nose to set on you bake tray or just chuck em into a wire mesh basket and bake. Should be good to go.

kxkid, you and a lot of others just can't get away from treating powder coating like paint. It's not paint, it's powder coat. It's meant to be applied in a dry process. Either sprayed in a ES, (ElectroStatic spray gun), or tumbled, then baked.

We still don't know what type of powder you're using or just how you're baking it, temp, and for how long. If it's harbor freight, that's an epoxy type of paint, most others are a polyethylene type of coating.

Tumble coating can never be as uniform as a properly applied ES coating. If you want them pretty, spraying is the way to go. If what you want is to eliminate greasy lubes and eliminate leading, then tumble them and disregard an occasional bare spot on the boolits.

goodpost.gif

Back