Westernfield M72A 30-30

NathanHoln

Inactive
I traded a couple junk pistols for this neat thing a while back.

It has this neat flip over scope mount so you can use iron sights.

But I don't have the rear sight for it. Do those come in a standard size?

The trigger disconnects with the lever. Been told it was a safety thing.

Last edited:
Not bad.
Personally i'd junk the scope, and that modified rear sight and put a peep sight on it.
Then get out in the woods.

That's a private branded Mossberg 472. Don't break it, parts are not easy to find. Yes, GunParts has some, but they are pretty sparse.
The trigger disconnects with the lever. Been told it was a safety thing.
Maybe not. It was intended so you never had to take your finger off the trigger for better cycling speed (taking your finger off the trigger would have been a safety thing). Of course, it did avoid pinched trigger fingers like "those other" lever action rifles.

It doesn't look like the left side of the receiver was D&T for a peep sight like older Marlins were. The rear sight notch is close enough to the receiver that I bet it came with one of the fold down rear sights similar to the ones that come on the ruger 10/22. Those are sold for around $10 or so.

Take off the scope base and I bet you could use a Skinner sight or one of the new Williams peeps designed for Marlins that are no longer D&T on the left side. Those work fine too but are sorta ugly.:eek:

It doesn't look like the left side of the receiver was D&T for a peep sight like older Marlins were. The rear sight notch is close enough to the receiver that I bet it came with one of the fold down rear sights similar to the ones that come on the ruger 10/22. Those are sold for around $10 or so.

Is there a standard size for the rear site notch? I have never put a site on something that didn't involve screw and rails so this is new to me. Is there measurements for the angles or something or is it standard for all notches?

Is there a standard size for the rear site notch? I have never put a site on something that didn't involve screw and rails so this is new to me. Is there measurements for the angles or something or is it standard for all notches?

The standard dovetail notch is .375. here is a page from Midway with several sights shown.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=folding+rear+sight&userItemsPerPage=48

This sight will most likely fit your needs.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/516164/lyman-rear-folding-leaf-sight-16b-345-high-elevates-to-445

You got the better deal. Old Weaver tip-ups have been around longer than President Trump has.
As far as the scope. So long as its optics are clear and it puts the bullet where you want it and its mounts are sturdy and tight. Why not go on using.

Open Barrel sights are not for everyone. There more complicated to use than a scope because there a functional >rudimentary sighting system that requires some shooting/allot of practice. Today's shooter wants quick & easy thus mount a scope bore sight and all's dandy__i.e. cheater glass >shooting practice {not} necessary.

I just noticed that your scope adjustment cap covers are missing. I think you can buy new ones but I don't remember where. I would get them if you plan on using the scope. They prevent your scope adjustments from getting moved by accident.

Back