Western style revolver recommendations?

tl

I'm considering purchasing my first revolver, and after some initial research have focused on the western style single action revolvers, probably 5 1/2 inch barrel, possibly 45 colt caliber. This would not be used for hunting or self defense, just target shooting which I greatly enjoy; occasional target shooting judging by the cost of ammunition. I like the looks of the western style revolver, particularly in stainless or nickel, and would like to have a larger caliber; my semi-autos are 9mm and .22.

I had a chance to handle a new blued Colt Cowboy, and a used stainless Ruger Bisley-Vaquero at a shop this week; both felt good in my hands, and had fairly smooth triggers, at least to my novice hands. I didn't see much in this forum about the Colt western style revolvers, at least for the last month and a half, but a lot about the Rugers. I've looked at the Colt and Ruger web sites, which raised some questions. For example, other than cost, what is the difference between the Colt Model P's and the Cowboy? Are the Model P's aimed toward the collector? Ruger lists 'Single Action', and 'New Model Single Action', but the differences are not obvious to me. And, are there other choices?

Just the one......

...for you!
Cabela' has a single action for $199(that sounds like it dosen't cost $200-spring for it)
It has a 4.75" barrel and is chambered in 45 Long Colt.
It is utterly reliable -strong and well made by Aldo Uberti
It is also absolutely uglier than homemade sin too!
That does not matter since the best revolver ever made is the plain Jane Smith and Wesson md 28----and it is ugly too.
You can waste more money--same place for one which has pretty grips and a patenia finish- $359.99 for it but it is offered in 45 Long Colt and .44-40
Don Mallard

I recommend the Ruger as they are built very strong.

The difference between the Model P and the Colt Cowby is that the Colt Cowboy has a transfer bar where the old model P has the pin on the hammer.
You must load only five rounds on the Model P and set the hammer down on an empty cylinder for safe carry. The transfer bar on modern revolvers lets you carry six rounds safely.

I also recommend .44-40 chambering over the .45 Colt as you may later want to get a Marlin or Winchester lever-action carbine to go with it.

A Winchester M92 chambered in .44-40 and a matching pair of single action revolvers would be good kit. Especially for into Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS). Just add a double barrel coach gun and some cowboy clothes and you are all set up for CAS.

Cowboy Action Shooting

Salt wrote:
I also recommend .44-40 chambering over the .45 Colt as you may later want to get a Marlin or Winchester lever-action carbine to go with it.

Marlin makes a nice lever action .45 Colt.

45 long colt lever guns

Actually there are a variety of lever guns chambered in 45 long colt. Everything from the Henry replicias to the latest Marlin "Cowboy" with walnut stock and 24" octogon barrel. There are Winchester model 92's and a873's as well. USRAC (the modern winchester) also makes the "Legacy"(24" barrel semi-pistol grip checkered walnut stock & forend) and "Trails End" (standard 94 carbine 20" barrel) model 94's avaiable in 45 long colt. So you see there are a great many lever guns in 45 long colt caliber!:D
Also 45 long colt is easier to reload as carbide dies are avaiable for it but not for the 44/40.

Ruger Blackhawk .45; .45LC/.45ACP combo if you can find one.

Unless you are already planning for organized CAS and object to being placed in the Modern category, the Vaquero's fixed sights are a definite liability. They are less visible than the Blackhawk adjustables, and are seldom on target with any usual ammo. Cowboy shooters don't care, their targets are large and close.

Real Colt SAAs are horribly expensive and the Colt literature urges you not to shoot them, they want you to consider them kind of an instant antique. Phooey.

The Colt Cowboy is entirely different. It uses the same transfer bar system that Ruger offers as a retrofit for their older guns. Who knows if it will last in the marketplace?

Clones and copies are a crapshoot. You might get a good one, you might get a dud.

A .44-40 will teach you a lot about reloading. It will also teach you a lot of new words you cannot use in polite company.

Note: I shoot CAS with one Colt and one Cimarron clone in .44-40 to match my Winchester 92. Doesn't mean I recommend the combination to start out with.

Good information all; several of my questions answered as I read the replies (and thanks for the link to SASS, Salt). I wondered about the Colt P-series. A brief foray onto GunsAmerica raised suspicians that these guns were marketed primarily to collectors. And, though I probably won't be hostering this gun much, the note on the safe handling of the P-series is another consideration (also something I was completely unaware of).

I do want a gun I can shoot, because I enjoy shooting. I plan to keep my guns for awhile, but don't think that qualifies me as a collector. I'm also not a fan of the 'modern antique' philosophy, whether it's guns or something else. I have no plans right now either to compete in CAS nor to reload; but then again, I didn't plan on owning more than one SIG either :). I will confess that I want a gun that looks good (to me), which turned me away from S&W's offerings, but the gun absolutely must function well. At this point the Rugers are at the top of the list; and still leaning toward the 45 Colt.

Last edited:
Back