Western Style Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing alot of camping here in colorado and often had some very uncomfortable moments with wildlife (both the 2 legged and 4 legged). I generally have my family with me and on occasion feel like a lamb for the wolves. I own a shotgun for home protection (which makes that very distinct sound so you would think twice about coming upstairs) but here is my question/curiosity. I have always been a fan of the western style gun, specifically the peacemaker(P1850). One is it illegal to carry a handgun of this type in a waist holter fashion (its not concealed). Two, is there other types / brands that have the same look and feel without having to purchase an original (which is a bit out of my budget).

Bill

Ruger Vaquero same look-twice as strong. Also the new Colt Peacekeeper? I think that's what they call it. Well anyway it is poorly fitted and looks like they hand filed it. Then blued over the whole mess. I recommend the Ruger.

I don't know about the legality in your area, you'll have to contact the state A.G's office or some other proper agency to find out.

If you're really serious about defense with a revolver, (animals are unbelievably fast in attack, else they'd go hungry, and human predators can be pretty speedy too) I'd go with a DA (double action) sixgun, a Smith and Wesson or Ruger, .357 or larger. (I vote for larger, the .45 Colt Mountain Gun being a very handy item, if you can locate one.) You can get a very fast first shot off with a SA ("western gun"), but follow-ups are painfully slow, except for true experts. The heavy recoiling calibers are also slow on follow-ups.

With practice, and I mean dedicated practice, the DA sixgun can be very fast with the delivery of the entire cylinderful in a much shorter time, if necessary. Also, the SA "pull" is usually much nicer on a DA than a SA sixgun when a deliberate shot is taken.

Hint: When You're in the boonies, always carry your handgun in your hand. Drawing is another skill which takes a great deal of practice. An attack, if it does come, will be swift and most likely a surprise. No time to show off your "fast draw!"

Whichever type gun you choose, shooting at moving targets is the only way to prepare for an attack. That is difficult to arrange, due to lack of range facilities for most folks and a challenge to rig up a target which simulates a "charge." If you can overcome those challenges, your practice should be fruitful. Best wishes.

If you want a single action revolver I would recommend a Ruger with adjustable sights chambered for either .44 Magnum or .357 Magnum. Either one will get the job done nicely.

Open carry is legal in Colorado except in national parks (like Estes) , nat. monumments, banks and wherever liquor is sold. (if i recall correctly).

And vaqueros are attractive and functional weapons, however as noted above.. a SA hangun (Roy rogers and Clint eastwood aside) Is not the fastest thing to employ.. however here are a few pointers for avoiding 4 legged/2 legged predators in the woods....

1) a BEAR BELL ( a little bell on your pack or a set of keys clinking will assure that you never see a bear up close.. the noise warns them you are coming) and BTW the bears are STILL feeding in colo.. the hibernation has NOT begun.

2) store your food in scent proof containers well off the ground strung bewteen two trees a minimum of ten feet off the ground.

3) NEVER keep food in your tent or in your pack.. ALL food should be kept AWAY from where ever YOU are.

4) cs/pepper spray can be faster employed against a bear than a handgun and doesn't scare the crap out of other hikers..(some people don't KNOW about the open carry law and are armed with nothing more than a walking stick) but if you have the bear bell above you should not see one while walking. HOWEVR using cs/pepper spray while inside your tent is VERY bad news... here is where your firearm is more useful.

5) BE SURE of your target. You are NOT allowed to kill a bear or lion without a license UNLESS its attacking a person (NOT your dog) Some misgiuded youth making coyote howls might scare you... but unlimbering your sixgun at them for "screwing around" is generally a bad idea.

6) the same law appies in the woods (ie your tent) as it does in your home (ie the make my day law) it probably DOES NOT apply to your entire campsite... your beer cooler or your picnic lunch.

Having said all that my belt gun during elk season is a 71/2 inch vaquero in 44 mag.. maost of the guys I hunt with carry 44's (as its big game legal) or a minimum of a 357 in bear country. I've also carried a 380 a 45 a 22 or a 9mm depending on the flora/fauna of the given area I'm hiking in and the wieght I'm packing on a given trip.. all are factors.

Bisley framed Vaqueros have a shorter hammer cocking radius and a larger grip frame.. and they are attractive as well.

I've always been far more concerned about walking into someone's pot plantation than running into a lion/bear/moose/wolf/coyote/deranged marmot etc. (and i've run into just about ALL of the above).

Bottom line is the state constituion garantees the right of self defense and out in the sticks you CAN'T call 911, don't have an alarm system and there are things which can sting maim bite poison eat and otherwise ruin your day.. then of course there are the people who plant the pot... make doomsday bunkers etc.

Carry ANY gun you can USE effectively and accurately and practice practice practice.

Saty safe, stay legal, enjoy the outdoors,

Dr.Rob

Running into someone's pot plantation is more likely than you would think. I did it about ten years ago in southern Utah. I was hunting mulies with my dad, brothers and other relatives. We had met up and were hiking back to our vehicles when we came into a clearing. the clearing was surrounded by planters with stubs from harvested pot. Needless to say we hightailed it out of there. The grower would have been stupid to open up on us as we were all well armed, but you never know. We notified the sheriffs office and they caught the guy. Spent some time in jail. Shake

And if you see bear scat, you can tell whether it was a black bear or a grizzly: The black bear scat doesn't have bells in it, or smell like pepper.

:), Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back