Western Field .22 Bolt Action - Magazine Fed

Looks like a Stevens/Savage/Springfield to me, although I don't recall the model number. It will probably use one of the standard Stevens mags.

Halfway down the right column is a pic of 20 Stevens mags, #1 fits a lot of guns.

#1 Standard 22 LR 5 Shot.....................$25

I have two I use in my Cooper. :) But wait, I bought those from Brownell's.

533-400-355WB
Savage 5-Round fits 35/34/65/85/416/982

$11.

www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7944/sku=533400355/Product/Savage-5-Round-fits-35-34-65-85-416-982

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards a Mossberg 42 (conversion) but there are so many different models of the 42 I am not sure. The fluted sides on the stock are what sold me on the mossberg, but you may be right. I would like to come up with the actual model number for the rifle not only for magazine replacement but to also learn a bit more about the rifle.

James

The number in the circle on the barrel looks like a Stevens mark. I haven't looked at the Mossbergs yet for those marks.

John

You are right that Savage 4 does look a lot like it. I am trying to figure this out for a friend of mine. I need to get the rifle in hand to look through for any other identifying marks.

James

Western field

I believe it could be a Savage, Mossberg, Marlin. AIs the trigger guard made out of plastic, if so that would lead me to believe it is a Mossberg. The above manufacturers made firearms for different companies including Winchester. I am inclined to say Mossberg if not Savage/Stevens,:) Cliff call me 978-424-7024

The Model 3 appears to be a single shot. The Model 4 had a box mag and was introduced in 1933 and the stock was checkered until around the end of WW2. Many of them were factory drilled for scope mounts. That's all I've learned so far.

John

Check with World Gun Parts (Numerich). You can look up Mod&Ser # and it will identify who made the rifle and if any parts are available.

If we had the Western Field model number I wouldn't have had to scour the internet and my old books to identify the maker.

Back