Western ammunition

AL45

I came across a box of .257 Roberts ammunition in a Western SuperX white box. It's 117 grain soft point. Just curious as to when Winchester stopped selling under the Western name. This box belonged to my old high school shop teacher and was purchased for $10.99 at the hardware store I have worked at for the last 30 years. But it was bought before my time there. There's 16 rounds left in the box, but I hate to shoot them for sentimental reasons. I reload for this caliber, so no reason to shoot them. Just wondering how old this box might be. Thanks.

The .257 Roberts was standardized by Remington in 1934.

Western Cartridge company was formed in 1898, absorbed Winchester in 1931 and formed Winchester-Western in 1935.

What do the case heads say??

WW, Win, Super X and Super Speed are all "Winchester" trade names, used up through the 50s-60s and some are still in current use.

Not an expert on this, sorry. My best guess is sometime after 1934 and before the 1970s.

remembering

As best as I can recall, the W-W whitebox (with the big red X) came after the yellow box with somewhat similar markings. Seems as if I remember a white box with a yellow X as well. The yellow box lasted until about the mid 1960's, when the white w/ red came along, late 60's until mid 70's, perhaps even later till early 80's.

Cartridge collectors get all wrapped up in this sort of thing and there are lists of box lot numbers and years of production which can be located with a bit of searching online. The lot number for your box should be located on the inside of one of the box flaps.

Back