West Hurley1911 with strange serial number

tmccardle

Inactive
Hey guys!
I've got an Auto Ordnance Thompson (pre-Kahr) 1911 with a serial number AOCUSAF00xx. It's got the brown plastic grips with the Thompson bullet circle on each side. It also has the engraved Thompson bullet Auto Ordnance Corp engraving on the slide. Neither Kahr nor Numrich had any information about this serial number.

Can anyone please help me with this? Is this a limited edition or just some weird variant on the serial numbers? It doesn't match up with anything I've ever seen after hours of searching.

Thanks!

Maybe Auto-Ord made a USAF commemorative, and used-up leftover frames on regular production guns?

I googled "auto ordnance air force commemorative", and the pictured gun (gunbroker) had a USAFxxxx serial.

Thanks RickB! I didn't think about using leftover frames on production guns. My number is less than 100 though and all the images I saw didn't have the AOC in front of the USAF. This is driving me nuts. Ready to move it and can't figure out if its worth $150 or $500! It's a standard pre-Kahr AO 1911 in all respects other than the serial number.
Thanks!

AOC in front of USAF stands for Air and Space Operations Center, a command center used by the US Air Force. Most likely you got a limited run commemorative piece.

Thanks Siggy! This is the most unremarkable commemorative piece I've ever seen! I can't upload a photo for some reason, but it is a standard 1911.

Back