Went to a local gun store today and saw 4 guns...

Lightsped

Well, as some of you may, or may not know, I have been struggling with a decision on what gun to buy next. The guns I am looking at are as follows:

Colt 1991A1: 599.00. Kind of expensive for a basic 45. Felt and looked good though.

Springfeild Armory Mil Spec 45: 499.00 Just a basic 45 similar to the Colt. Felt and looked like the Colt.

Beretta 92FS 9mm INOX Stainless: 529.00. Looked top notch. Felt good as well.

Glock 17C: 569.00. Very light, quality looked good, but its still a ugly gun.

Anyways, I am planning to buy one of these very soon. ANy help in making my decision is appreciated.
BTW, the gun will not be used for CCW. Its just time for me to get another gun to target shoot and have fun with. CCW is what my Titanium 38 snubbies are for.
Thanks

try to rent all the guns you want to buy at the range before you get anything. see which you shoot best and which feels best in your hands, then get that one. if the gun's just for target shooting then reliability isn't the most important thing? if it is a big concer i'd lean toward the Beretta or Glock.

other things to consider is that the red dots on the Beretta 92FS INOX aren't that easy to see in some light, you may want to consider the 92FS Brigadier INOX or the bruniton 92FS. also the Glock 17 doesn't have that much recoil without any porting.

This particular store doesn't have a range, and the range that is near by doesn't have that many good guns to rent. I pretty much got to take you alls word when it comes to guns....
I noticed the red dots on the 92FS Inox, I don't think they would be a huge concern since it will be more of a target gun/fun gun.
How about the difference in the basic Springfeild 1911 vs the basic Colt 1991A1?
How are those prices?

The Glock 17C; Over-priced, ugly, dime-a-dozen plastic, if you ever plan to use it as a house gun I wouldn't recommend the compensation. The Beretta Inox; Good price, beautiful pistol, REASONABLE hi-caps, nice house gun. The Colt 1991; I like 'em but it seems to be over-priced. The Springfield Mil-Spec; Good price, good pistol, I'd get it. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

Beretta 92 is the best of the four. I thought the red dots sucked at first, but they actually work pretty well. Fit & finish is absolutely wonderful.

since you can't shoot them you should hold them all a lot and see which feels better. then try going from low ready and bring the gun up and aim at something on the wall to see how well it points, also dry fire them to see which trigger system you like best.

the Glock 17C's price is a bit high. a standard G17 goes for under $500 around here. the Colt 1991A1 and SA Mil-Spec are quite similar in their features so i'd go with the Sprinfield since it's less cash and just as good. however a "Loaded" Springfield Armory isn't that much more as is a Kimber Custom Classic and they have more features that you may like.

things to think about are that if the gun is strictly for target shooting a 9mm might be better. you'll probably shoot this gun a lot at the range and 9mm is quite a bit cheaper than .45. however 1911s are easier to shoot more accurately. i love my Glocks and Berettas but i have to admit that i can shoot 1911s more accurately.

At Christmas my wonderful wife said I could have a new gun, so off I went (hurriedly) to the local well-stocked shop. After playing with about all those you mention (and a few other autos, revolvers, rifles, etc.) I purchased my first Glock, a 17. Why?

1. I have decided to keep all my actions as similar as is practical. No more SA/DA/decockers/manual safeties for me, thanks. And no cocked-and-locked, either (I fear unknowingly flipping that 1911 safety off, though we each choose our own peculiar anxieties - I am well familiar with the different philosophies of safe carry).

2. Short and easy trigger pull - I carry my Kel-Tec P11 often, but the it took a LONG time to get used to the LONG trigger pull. The Beretta's I tried had lousy triggers.

3. A 17-round capacity is quite attractive, especially compared to the 5 available in my snubbies.

4. LOOKS - Well, I don't abhor the Glock look like I used to. Still, I see my G17 as a stark, utilitarian tool, a beautifully efficient design (though a nickeled slide looks nice...)

5. Cheap, easy and fun to shoot - I have a sufficient number of carry arms that are more fun to carry than to shoot (well, almost...;)

Next year, I hope to be offering a different viewpoint (I still want a Desert Eagle, just to hang over the fireplace...and I don't have ANY .45's right now...and everyone needs a lever action at least ONCE in their lifetime...an AR is a must-have item in any decent arsenal...)

Are you already carrying something concealed?
I ask because all those guns are pretty big for CCW, though there are people who are successful with each of them.
Would the gun shop that has them let you try them in a holster and see if you can conceal it?

The CCW role is being filled by a Total Titanium Taurus 38 snubbie and a Stainless version of the same Taurus 38. This new gun I am about to buy will just be a fun/target type gun. Just something new and different, thats all....

I'd also urge you to try them all, if at all possible. I personally can't stand compensated firearms, and while I am a BIG Glock fan I wouldn't own a 17C (or any other "C" for that matter).

Of the pistols you listed, if I were doing the buying it would be the Springfield Armory 1911. I have shot each of the guns you mentioned, though, and all of them would be good choices (except I would buy a G17 vice a G17C).

I would laso have to cast my vote for the Springfield. To me and most people I have talked to, the 1911 models just seem to fit the hand so well. For range work it will be great. Hell, I carry a full sized 1911 as my CCW.

Glock 17 (or 19) but NOT comped. Comped guns are filthy and dangerous...in retention you'll end up with a face full of hot powder and gas.

Once you try black you never go back!!!

Think about a Glock 30 if you're leaning toward .45 ACP.

Go with the Springfield

I have a Springfield, 1911A1. Its been great. Accurate, relaible and no FTF's. Very good gun for the money and I think better quality than the Colt. I vote for the Springfield, especially for range work. Just my opinion.

Pilot

If it is not for self defense, any of those pistols will do.
It is a matter of personal preference. If any self defense is involved, I would go with the Glock, definitely. Remember these are just my opinions.

You are looking at 3 basically different types.

--Double action only, no external safety, high grip angle.

--Double/single action, external safety, decocker, low grip angle.

--Single action, external safety, no decocker, grip safety, low grip angle.

Forget about the brand names and the looks, which one of these styles fits in your hands, aims, and feels better? Dry fire it, work the safeties. Which type of trigger pull and which type of safety do you want?

Now also think about the caliber. Do you want a 9mm or a .45?

--one has less recoil and is typically cheaper to shoot easier to have in double stack magazines, but does not have the knockdown power for some of the target games (like bowling pins).

--the other has more recoil but more knockdown power.

Like I said in another post on this subject, assume that all the guns you are talking about are EQUAL in quality, accuracy, durabilty, etc. But they have real differences between them in magazine capacity, safety mechanisms, and grip angles.

So, just pick the style that you like better. None of the guns you are looking at are any better or worse than the other guns--just different ways of skinning the same cat.

Hmmmmmm. that last post makes alot of sense.

The type of gun I really like is something similar to my Sig P229 in .40. I like the decocker lever alot. I also don't mind having a DA first shot, with everything else being a SA shot. But I have also held the other two guns and they feel great too. The Glock is so light and appears to be made well, and the 45 is really balanced.

To tell you the truth, eventually I am going to own all three of these guns, but I can only buy one at a time. Dang, I HATE these types of decisions.....

Get the Beretta!
That is one BEEEEEautiful gun!
ESPECIALLY in stainless steel. Wow! :eek:

I'm sure you'll take the advice of some and rent them to see which feels best but for overall looks... can't go wrong with the 92FS.:D

Back