Went skeet shooting yesterday.....

SARuger

My first time in 25 years! Damn I enjoyed it!!!!

It was a fundraising event for a local church and just an all-around good time.

I went 15 for 25 with the 20g 11-87 with Skeet choke and I went 18 for 25 with the 20g 870 with Imp-Mod choke. Not great but not bad for me. I use to be able to hit 20-22 when I was a kid with better eyes.

I'm hooked! Again!!!

Now I have a reason to buy a Ruger Red Label 20g right?

My new 11-87 and my old 870. The 870 is a "X" model, its a 20g on a 12g receiver. I had Mike Orlin install chokes in the original barrel. It shoots really nice.
IMG_20150411_142500_734.jpg

Even though real wingshooters know that skeet is what you do when the trap field is out if commission skeet can be hilariously fun and is a worthwhile activity for a charity event. Glad you rediscovered the fun. Don't get too hung up on choke/barrel length/gauge/overunder vs semi vs pump/etc,etc,etc. Just shoot the darned bird. Enjoy and safe shooting

Sounds like it was a good time and for a good cause.
A few years go, I tried some clay bird shooting, for the first time in very long time.
I don't remeber it hurting so much after just 25 birds.
Back then we used to do it all day.
Must be getting old or something.

Shotgun slim has it wrong....Trap shooting is for when you need a nap....;) --- its so boring, makes me sleepy just thinking about shooting Trap...( yawn..)...

Glad to hear you had a good day.../ far be it from me to tell anyone not to buy another shotgun ( I only have about 15 shotguns these days)....but for casual shooting, most any "field" shotgun is just fine as long as it fits you !

Yep Ruger dropped the Red Label but from what I hear they were good guns. I just really want one being a fan of anything Ruger

Now I have a reason to buy a Ruger Red Label 20g right?

No, you don't. As mentioned discontinued for the second, and final, time.

Shooting SK with a IM choke is just a tad tight; plain ol' SK will work just fine. If you want another 20 in O/U or semi, Beretta and Browning make excellent guns - but get yourself the heavier target version. What might be something to look into is getting a 12 O/U plus a "carrier" barrel as well to go with a set of full-length tubes in 20, 28 and 410.

I was the only one there shooting a 20g so I don't feel to bad and my bad right shoulder likes the 20g a whole lot better. I see the advantage of a 12g though

I was the only one there shooting a 20g so I don't feel to bad and my bad right shoulder likes the 20g a whole lot better. I see the advantage of a 12g though

I noticed you were shooting those wally world Win Universals. For some reason, they seem to kick the snot out of everyone much moreso than even the federal 4 packs from there. The 12 is nice because it is not only heavier, but you can even reload it down to 20 or 28 gauge levels by shooting 7/8 or 3/4 oz loads.
(Down the road, your shoulder will definitely thank you for it) ;)

The Winchester Low Noise-Low Recoil ammo is much nicer on the body parts than the typical Target version.
It seems to be just right for skeet.
Not sure about Trap, didn't try it there.

Skeet therapy

In 2000 during a cancer battle,one of my doctors asked me to shoot skeet with his squad.I took to.it like a duck to water.Suddenly my life was changing for the better! I had something positive to focus on and work to get better. I found peace on those skeet fields.Sadly Doc died in a plane crash while returning from a pheasant hunt.:d

I wouldn't shot another round of trap, even if they let me do it for FREE and gave me the shells.....boring.

If it's not sporting clays don't even bother asking me to go.

ParkerBoy - then go and shoot some FITASC - mandatory low gun mount, not a bunch of repetitive pairs. Each parcour is 25 targets with either three or four "pegs" (basically a hula hoop). You'll get a few singles and then pairs from the singles. Targets are usually a tad more difficult and the low gun requirement adds some degree of difficulty. ALMOST makes sporting look like trap......:D:p;)

In fact the World Championship for 2015 is in your neck of the woods:
http://www.worldfitasc.com/

Caribou Gun Club in Le Seur, MN in July
If close you should go and watch and check out some vendors

Back