Well why not?

rickt300

I happen to have a mountain rifle contour stainless steel 22 inch barrel in 7-08 and I just ordered a Model Seven TrigerTech trigger. The rifle is still sporting the original 18.5 inch barrel which shoots just fine, If I had to nit pick the rifle is a little bit muzzle light, used to be a lot before I replaced the stock with one from a M7 Predator. Muzzle blast with the short 7-08 tube and slower powders is pretty impressive. Hunting at night it will flash blind you for a few seconds. The hem and the haw of it is as is it shoots very well. The 22 inch stainless tube is said to be a good shooter by it's previous owner so that hopefully is not a worry. I did have an AD using the stock trigger, the rifle is a 1991 model and I feel replacing the trigger won't do anything but be a smart move. Looking for a gunsmith in the Fort Worth area to pull the old barrel. Seems they are not as common as they used to be.

Good call on replacing the trigger. It may, or may never discharge with no trigger pull. But it is a flawed design and any of those rifles could do so. It's just a matter of all the right parts lining up in the wrong way. It is virtually impossible to predict if or when it will happen. It may never do it, or it may do it once in 50 years. But I could never trust one.

I have a 1974 rifle that has done it twice. Once in the 1990's and once about 5 years ago. Two incidents in 40+ years. Fortunately both incidents happened with an unloaded rifle. But after the 2nd one I replaced the trigger on mine. I haven't actually hunted with it in years, but one of the grandkids will get it one day.

Not sure you'll gain much with that barrel swap other than a little speed. In my experience the mountain rifle barrels are quite accurate for 2-3 shots, then they shoot patterns.

I like the model 7's. While the actions are actually a bit shorter and lighter than a short action 700, the loading/ejection port is larger making it easier to load/unload the rifle. The action is where the weight reduction comes from. A standard profile barrel would help with balance and probably prove more accurate while still resulting in a light rifle.

Sounds good to me!

A good trigger only helps!
The new barrel may help with the balance. The additional velocity isn't a hinderance either.

Well I put the new trigger on. The stock trigger was fine but the TriggerTech may be the best trigger I have pulled. In testing the trigger the light 18 inch barrel proved it's worth again, MOA for three shots with 140 gr. Partitions, 145 gr. Speer BTSP's and 150 gr. Ballistic Tips. And their point of impacts are right on top of each other.

The 22" barrel will add about 100fps over the 18".
Maybe more, maybe less.
Might give a better balance to the rifle.

I'm on the waiting list for the newly released Weatherby Mark V Hunter in 280AI.
Most plain Jane looking Mark V you'll ever see.
But the Trigger Tech trigger on it i really, really like!!
I especially loved how wide the trigger shoe is! Feels like you could get your whole finger on it!!

The 22" barrel will add about 100fps over the 18".
Maybe more, maybe less.
Might give a better balance to the rifle.

I'm on the waiting list for the newly released Weatherby Mark V Hunter in 280AI.
Most plain Jane looking Mark V you'll ever see.
But the Trigger Tech trigger on it i really, really like!!
I especially loved how wide the trigger shoe is! Feels like you could get your whole finger on it!!
I've handled and shot quite a few weatherby's--I'm not shy about saying I think they are great rifles--made over a wide variety of vintages--which in many cases means who they subbed out a lot of them to make them for them. I've handled and shot a few of their new entirely made in the US in their new factory rifles and I think you're going to like the 280 AI (I think there's only one or two models they offer it in IIRC)--the biggest improvement by far is the finishing of the bores, not that the older ones were all that bad--but the three newer ones I've seen and shot I thought were outstanding. Their new spiral fluted bolt I could take it or leave it compared to the older ones, they do have a nicer shorter throw which solves some of the scope issues they had with the older bolts, but the cerrokote finishing which they apply to the bolts and receiver lugs in many models can add friction to closing the bolt until worn-in. be interesting to hear your experience--I've never shot a Weatherby that wasn't chambered for a Weatherby cartridge.

Have a model seven in 223. My yard/varmint rifle. Timney trigger install about 2-1/2 lbs pull. Rifle was purchased when it's stock was standard walnut and its hardware was shiny blued. Shoots well with its slim short barrel. Never crossed my mind to change out its barrel. Although I at times wished I would have purchased its Big Brother also. (308) Than again I'm happy with what I have. No muzzle blast or heavy recoiling. Just a enjoyable light weight accurate rifle my Great Grandson will learn how to shoot and deer hunt__with.

Back