Well I guess I was right! No Accuracy anymore!

ppcmaster

Well I guess I must have hit the nail on the head with my last thread of "where has the accuracy gone?" Since no one responded I guess these disiplines are truly lacking any form of accuarcy. Spray and pray I guess. I should give it a try anyway can hurt. Thanks for all the posts.

Well, it was kind of hard to tell by the first post exactly what you wanted to know.

In USPSA you don't get penalties in seconds and points most certainly do matter, especially in Production division where you are scored Minor.

At local matches, I've had to shoot multiple partially obscured targets (obscured by penaty target, no less) at 50 yards.....weak handed. At last week's local 3 gun match we had to engage swingers....at 200 yards.

So...what questions do you have?

Well, you were right to a considerable extent. I guess the lack of posts were due to the fact that not as many people shoot bullseye any more and NRA doesn't let American Commoners shoot PPC. Also due to the appearance that you already had your mind made up.

I used to shoot PPC - there was a local league that didn't care that I wasn't a cop - and my accuracy has declined considerably since I took up IPSC and now IDPA. But my speed is a lot better.

Different sports, different emphasis. Why doesn't the pitcher tackle the runner on his way to first base?

Spray and pray? Not really, just that the targets are bigger... unless you have to try for an "upper A panel."

Oh, and it can hurt. A friend who never got out of PPC refuses to shoot the "run and gun" matches, for fear it will upset his timing.

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the post. Shame you do not live in NJ they allow non-leo to shoot PPC. I wanted to give these disiplines a try so I went out and watched a few matches to see what it was like. It looked like too much chance so to speak. I do understand about targets and such. Alot of the PPC shooter in my area do not shoot other disicpline because they think that they are spray and pray matches compared to long distance handgun accuracy, especially when IPSC shooters come to our matches and do not brake 1000 points out of 1500 points. Just seeing if this is worth my time or is a waste, thanks for the post.

Lycanthorpe,
Where in PA are these matches, I would love to shoot some especially out to 50yds and I would think that the 200yds was with rifle. I am very close to PA so let me know and I will check them out or where can I find results and course of fire from concerning the match you just spoke about.

I'm in Western Pa and shoot/MD at Castlewood. www.castlewoodpistol.com

I also shoot at Clairton, East Huntingdon, Pitcairn-Monroeville and others.

At your side of the state Topton runs some great matches, but I'm not sure how close that is to you.

DOn't know why you chose to post the same thing twice under different titles but in IPSC you can't miss fast enough to win. The shooters in my club are quite accurate and fast. They actualy emphasize accuracy saying that speed will come.

i didn't post because you're not looking for a discussion, you're looking for and argument. If I want an argument I can go talk to the wife.

i didn't post because you're not looking for a discussion, you're looking for and argument. If I want an argument I can go talk to the wife.

+1
In your previous threads all you did was describe people who lacked common sense and try to pass them off as plinkers. If you have problems with your range take it up with your range officers. Quit trying to convince the internet community that you're right and start convincing your range personell that you're right.

Don from staff,

I reviewed your last comment on the other accuracy topic that you closed. Please point out to me where I said anything comcerning IPSC/IDPA/GSSf shooters, that I am calling them plinkers. NO these types of shooters are shooters who are tring and succeeding at learning a new skill UNLIKE PLINKERS who go to the range because they have nothing else to do that day, but destroy inanimate objects. So please next time get the facts striaght before you decide to make a statement, you are indeed part of the staff and should know what you are talking about first. If you read all the posts and relpies that I sent/made you would have seen that. I was passionate about the shooters who go to ranges and destroy stuff just for kicks. I said nothing concerning IPSC/GSSF/IDPA shooters, so next time read the entire subject matter. Also Don please feel free to remove all of my personal material from this forum, happily to everyone I will NOT becoming back to this one. When the staff trys to inflame the situation I no one wants to hear the truth and will do what ever they anyway. Talk to Capt. Charlie you could learn a thing or two from him. So remove my suff or ban whatever, evidently this forum doesn't get the guts of the matter, we all just have to be nice and pretend that everything is A OK.

Aw, don't give up so easy mr.PPC. I like a lively discussion and everyone around here gets flamed every once in a while.

I'm a geek for precision competition shooting who also likes to destroy inanimate objects with mag-draining storms of lead. Stick around and argue with me!

Pin Shooting

Pin shoots are hard to find, but only this is where you will find a very few and dwindling number of folks who can hit a targets the size of a 12-ounce aluminum cans at 8 meters using full-powered .45 ACP stock, iron-sighted handguns.

It isn't sexy, it isn't new, but it's true.

AND, it is a very inexpensive shooting sport.

:D

Pin Shoots

My range club has a pin shoot every 1st and 3rd Saturday. It's a hoot. 5 Pins and one "tie breaker" target with 6 rounds. First tiem I went I was three up and three down so I did a lot of spectator work. Yesterday I was a bit more competitive. I was shooting my SA 1911A1 but I think next time I'll take my Blackhawk .357 and give it a try.
If you've never tried you should like I said it is fun.

If you're looking for an accuracy-oriented sport that is still fun to shoot, you should consider NRA Action Pistol. If you're not familiar with it, you may have heard of the Bianchi Cup, which is the national NRA Action Pistol championship each year.

You have to shoot accurately and the time limits are more demanding than those in PPC and obviously far more than those in bullseye shooting. Those who are strong PPC shooters often do very well in NRA AP once they adapt to the different events and respective time limits.

The best part is that it's open to everyone. It's not limited to police only.

Lyc is tryin to blame someone for the weird course of fire, when it was HIM that probably designed it!

Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20.......:)

We should all try different games sometimes. The local sporting clays guys used to look pretty uptight until we dug out the short 3 gun shotguns and shot some Skeet with them. Now we're all on thw same team.

At a typical IPSC match, good shooters score 95% of the available points. And that's not just the winners, but the top shooters in the lower classes. I don't see much spray and pray. In IDPA, it's often an even higher proportion of the available points, since the penalties are so high for dropped points.

To add my 2 cents (for all that it is worth)

IPSC requires that you only have to be accurate enough, it is not precision, there is a little spray and pray in comparison to other sports.
The "A" (highest scoring) zones are comparitively generous.

If you can consistantly shoot 4" groups are 50 Metres that is normally plenty accurate enough.

The Sport of IPSC is a compromise sport, you need strike a balance, of time, accuracy and power. Too much of one and you effect the others.
There are very few standard courses of fire in IPSC, so it is always a bit of the unknown, you don't have a set time, and all you know is you need to complete the course of fire faster and more accurately than anyone else.
You can never practice a course of fire, all you can do is practice your gun handling skills, and shooting skills.
Planning the way you intend to complete a course of fire in IPSC is a big part of it, and can only be done on the range on the day.

It is this combination of elements I enjoy.
[I do shoot ISSF too, which is all about accuracy, but it's not as challenging]

"A" Zone at 50 Metres, good enough for me.
standing_IPSC_TARGET.jpg

This thread makes absolutely no sense to me. I have shot just about all the disciplines in rifle, pistol, and shotgun.
If you are really into accuracy, then maybe NRA bullseye would be your game and try to get distinguished, very challenging. Or maybe benchrest, where 1/10" can make or break you, PPC would be very sloppy compared to either one.
Its all a game, whatever you enjoy doing...do it. Running down another persons sport does nothing constructive to our sports. Whenever speed comes into play, of course accuracy is going to be more challenging, putting speed and accuracy together is what ISPC and IDPA are all about. In silloettes, just knocking down the target is the game, the same in bowling pin shoots, lots of fun, but would obviously not meet up with your accuracy requirment. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Yes, you've got me pegged. Closing your duplicate thread in which you compared people shooting any discipline except yours to unskilled plinkers who delight only in destruction was my way of attempting to "inflame the situation."

Also, I don't talk to Captain Charlie, so I guess I should try that. How does one get ahold of Captain Charlie, anyway? Should I tell him PPCMaster sent me?
:rolleyes:

As for your "I never said one thing comparing IPSC/IDPA to plinkers" kick, I did in fact read the thread before I closed it. Your first post was a rant about how IPSC and IDPA shooters shoot and how inaccurate they are. Your second post was a throwaway "+1" thing. Your third post quoted someone's reaction to your first post (the one about IDPA/IPSC) and, despite the fact that you hadn't mentioned plinkers yet, continued "I guess no one got my point about plinkers. What I was saying about plinkers was . . . . "
Then you proceeded to go off on a tear about plinkers and how they're lousy shooters who only shoot to destroy stuff.

You're the one who said that was an explanation of your first post about IDPA/IPSC. That didn't come from me.

If it isn't clear by now, I also have my doubts about you quitting TFL.

Back