Weird wheelgun, weirder question...

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks to a recent buying spree by my roomie at a local gun show, I've come into a Russian Nagant wheelgun. It's dated 1941 and has both the 7.62x38R Nagant cylinder and the .32ACP aftermarket cylinder. I have been told by one or two people that one can fire .32 *&*, .32 *&* Long, and .32 H&R Magnum out of the Nagant cylinder. They still had all their fingers and eyes, but I wouldn't mind a third or fourth opinion on this subject. It seems to be built like a truck, but ya' never know...

Skip the .32 Mag. and stick with .32 Long.

The cylinder is a bit oversized normally, which will cause bulging of your cases, but other than that, no big deal.

Tamara,

Check the bore of the Nagant very carefully. I'm told they have very irregular bores, and consequently shoot accordingly.

They sell at our gun shows for under a hundred bucks, so it's no great loss if you get one that doesn't shoot well.

Bill

Irregular bore?

I don't see why the interior should be any more regular than the exterior. ;) These wartime production ones look as though they were hewn from bar stock with flint axes... :D

The 32 S&W long works fine, but expect bulged cases. Also you won't get the benefit of the gas seal system, for that you need the real McCoy Nagant ammo made by Fiocchi(hard to come by and expensive. Gun has a useless double action and a fair single action. There is lot's of info on the web re: this 19th cent. relic. Enjoy it for its unique design and historical associations. Start at Tuco's(Mosin-nagant.net)

Back