weird request

ditty

Inactive
I'm kinda embarassed to even ask this but, you know in the movies a guy will pull out a case with his firearms in it and he'll open it up and a handgun will be in a perfectly fitted foam thingy? Well... anyone know where i could get those foam thingies fitted to my handguns? I got this new case but the spongy thing inside kinda looks cheesy, and I want it to look clean. I'm looking for someone can do it for me profesionally.

Thanks
ditty

Two options:

One is: Foam-in-place. I think that Snap-On tools offers this for tool boxes and the same would apply to gun boxes. Look up your local Snap-On dealer. The other option is what I used to do... get an exacto knife and some foam and cut it yourself. Not always perfect fit, but certainly cheaper.

I'm not sure of the manufacturer (there's nothing on the case) but I picked up a nice looking alumin-type handgun case recently for about $40. It has two layers of foam in the bottom, about 1 1/2" thick. Each layer has little 1/2" x 1/2" squares that are pre-cut and can be pulled out to roughly form to the shape of the gun. It's a pretty snug fit and the 'rough' shape actually looks pretty cool.

I was thinking about making my own wooden case before I found this. I had planned on getting some regular foam and cutting out the exact shape of the gun with my scroll saw. I may still do it, but I'll probably just use the foam in one of those nifty aluminum cases.

What you want is the pre-scored stuff mentioned above. It is called "pick-n-pluck" or something like that. A real camera store (not a camera department) will usually sell this stuff by itself for when you need to refit a case for different stuff. You basically pick out these small pieces one at a time until you get the fit you want.

What VictorLouis said...I use the Pelican (2) for my camera gear. The foam can be purchased sepeately so you can have several different inserts for a single case...change out the foam depending on the gun(s) you wish to carry.
WARNING....Pelican cases are HEAVY.
However, they are the best. They also hold their value (lifetime warranty to OWNER) so you can re-sell at near retail on e-bay etc....you might check out e-bay and see if you find one you like worth the money.
Good luck!

Commercial Transit Case Manufacturers

If you really want the high density foam inserts that exactly fit your gun, contact some one that builds commercial transit cases. For example, your Anvil case distributor. They can often do what your want or refer you to someone who can.

Be prepared to pay dearly for it but it will protect your gun and wear far better then the low density foam inserts. They can also be wiped clean far better than low density foam insert. By the way, it is heavy stuff.

If you go the route of purchasing your own foam and then cutting the shapes, be sure you get closed cell foam. An open cell foam will absorb moisture which keeps the gun damp the entire time the gun is in storage. Closed cell is impervious to moisture. Also you might want to make sure you get foam that doesn't break down from oils since the chance of some oil getting on the foam from the guns is pretty high.

Perfect timing for this topic. I have an aluminum Halliburton case that I once used for my portolio. You know, the briefcase style with the combination lock. I just might break that out and use it for one of my better guns.

If you want to get a clean cut on the foam, freeze it, then cut it. This is per Halliburton's recommendations. Other types of foam I don't know about.

Dick

Back