Weird Colt SAA (on an auction) ?

The only .45 ACP Colt SAA I could find in my Blue Book was what was called the "U.S. Model" that was produced from 1991-1992 but it was a custom engraved model that came in royal blue finish and the shortest barrel length was 4 3/4 inches.

Colt did make models with interchangeable cylinders, so it's not hard to find a cylinder in .45 ACP. They made a Sheriff's Model with a 3" barrel and a Storekeepers mode with a 4" barrel, but neither of them had an ejector rod.

Looks like this is a gunsmith custom job as far as I can tell, but I'm sure there are some Colt guys out there that may know where it came from.

Gunsmith job.
The header: "Christy gun works" is a dead giveaway. Christy made barrels and cylinders for about any caliber the SAA frame would accept. Probably cut the barrel and ejector rod back and plated it, too. They were a well known shop of their day.

I think Dixie Gun Works got their closeout stock of barrels and cylinders, they advertised them for years while they lasted.

Yes, I posted same question on Colt Forums, and they too recognized aftermarket add-ons. What I thought was weird was lack of serial number, the message reply I got from seller was "M-2" was only number on gun. But he was an employee who owned he knew nothing about the gun; perhaps he didn't know were on the gun to look for S#.

Thanks all - it's a batmobile job for sure.

Back