Wedge Retainer for Open Top Revolvers

Smokin'Joe

Open Top Colt revolvers have wedges that can all too easily drop out and get lost when the barrel is removed. A simple modification can all but eliminate this problem. I started with a #8 split lock washer and modified it with needle files.

20161109_163422_zpsoelqrhnb.jpg

Unmodified washer on left, modified washer on right.

This washer is placed on the wedge screw with the flat positioned toward the wedge slot of the barrel. This provides a greater surface for the wedge spring to grab onto making for a tighter fit. If the wedge fit is too tight simply file a little metal off the flat surface and try again until fit is acceptable.

20161110_083952235_zpsgg1o8xit.jpg

IMG_0048_zpsqkqsu2fr.jpg

Last edited:
I've never had one just fall out. The few times I've taken one out they required a little wiggling but if you're worried about it why not get a screw with a bigger head? It would look a lot better.

Not a bad idea. Fire blue it and it's not so noticeable. As to getting another screw, they'd have us make one on a lathe and mill.

You'd have to check the threads but the bolt/trigger spring screw might fit. I'm not around mine right now or I'd check for you. If it does wrap the threads with electrical tape and chuck it up in a drill and turn it down with a file.

It's possible you might find a metric screw to modify at the local hardware. Take your wedge screw with you in a container for your pocket, so it doesn't escape!

Hay-Seuss clips would probably work, but I'd put them on the screw and then put the screw into place. Slipping it onto the screw head could scratch the frame.

It appears to me that Smokin's screw heads are the same diameter as my 3 Pietta 1851's, and I don't have his problem with my pistols.

I can only think that the threaded hole for that screw is in the wrong location, OR the wedge slot might have been milled too low, but that is a reach insofar as alignment with the arbor slot. In this day and age of CNC machining, I dunno, unless that is an older pistol.

Good luck, Smokin', insofar as finding out why you had to do the ingenious solution you found and needed.

Jim

wedge keeper

i for one like the idea and have made one for my keeper screw, thanks alot. i think for one it is a great idea. thanks for shareing it with us. toot.

It appears to me that Smokin's screw heads are the same diameter as my 3 Pietta 1851's, and I don't have his problem with my pistols.

I can only think that the threaded hole for that screw is in the wrong location,

Mine are probably the same then.

That would be most likely.

I got curious so I had to measure mine and it's right on .273" and holds the wedge just fine, so your screw is right .
And like mentioned afore maybe the hole is a tad high,,,,,,, now we have to measure the top of the wedge slot to hole center ,,, oh boy,,,,:D. ;). :D.
Having jesting a bit I have to say I'm a big fan of folks who see a problem and fix it themselves, I applaud you .

Guys, there never was an issue with any of my open top revolvers regarding the wedge or the retaining screw. Everything was and still is in spec. My simple wedge retainer modification is just a way to keep the wedge from accidentally falling out when the barrel is removed. If any of you don't like the modification or don't feel the need to implement it on your revolver than, by all means, simply ignore my post. But you just might be surprised how much more secure the wedge is when my retainer is employed.

Just from the pics it looks like the head of the screw is flush with the edge of the wedge slot when it should come below it to about where your retainer is.

wedge retainer

i had a wedge that fell out when i removed the barrell, the problem was the spring that runs in the middle for tension was verry over crompressed. i used to slip a small screw driver under it and apply upward preassure to it and it would work for a while then it had a memory and went back, no tension. finally replaced it problem solved. any one ever have toe same problem? BTW. the gun was an ASM, 36, yrs old. still going strong.

Back