Wedge depth?

Model12Win

Hey guys! I am the owner of a Colt Navy revolver, and of course it has a wedge that holds the barrel to the frame. I am wondering though, how far should the wedge go in? Also, how tight should the wedge? My wedge only wants to go in until it just passes through the frame and out the other side. looking at the gun from above, with muzzle forward as if one where shooting it, the wedge sticks out alot on the right side of the gun and only will protrude about 1/32" on the left side. It's also really tight.

So what exactly is the ideal "wedge depth" for colt open top revolvers, and how tight should they be?

Thanks for the help! :)

Sounds about right. It's not so much the depth of the wedge as much as the gap between the barrel and cylinder, which is determined more or less by the wedge fitment.

If you have a set of the old spark plug feeler gauges, .005-.006 gap is what you're looking for.

A new gun will be just past flush on the off side. As the wedge wears it will go deeper, just don't force it. Thumb pressure is all you should need to remove and install it. A new gun may have to have the wedge removed a few times to achieve this. If the arbor length is correct the wedge depth wont affect cylinder gap.

Hawg is correct,the wedge is not what determines the barrel/cyl gap. The correct arbor length is what sets the gap. It's near impossible to maintain a constant gap by wedge alone. During a shooting session , the whole assy moves with every shot. With a correct set up, the gap is constant (meaning you can disassemble /assemble and end up with the SAME gun every time instead of something close.) no matter how far the wedge goes in. Although many opt for a larger gap, I set mine (and my customer's) to .002-.0025. This allows for a "no binding " shooting session for as many as 100 rounds or more.

www.goonsgunworks.com

Last edited:
Listen to Hawg and 45 Dragoon!
Some shooters think they need to hammer the wedge all of the way home, then hammer the wedge out --- wrong.

As mentioned, proper cylinder pin fit will determine cylinder gap.
The wedge should go in finger tight, and come out the same way. Ideally, as long as the springs hook is outside the barrel to keep it in, you're good.
Hammering it in and out will only deform/wear it faster.

looking at the gun from above, with muzzle forward as if one where shooting it, the wedge sticks out alot on the right side of the gun and only will protrude about 1/32" on the left side. It's also really tight.

By your description, you have it in backwards. It should go in from the left and barely protrude out the right side.

By your description, you have it in backwards. It should go in from the left and barely protrude out the right side.

I missed that. Yes, it goes in from the left side.

The right side of my 51 (the white specks are lint).

While on the wedge subject;
If some one has buggered up the wedge screw, it is interchangeable with trigger-bolt spring screw.

Just off the top of my head I think the bolt spring screw might be a little longer. There is no need to remove the wedge screw. All it does is catch the lip of the wedge spring to keep it from falling out on disassembly.

Of course on the other hand, (not being obstinate Hawg (lol)) you need to move it at least now and then just to keep it from freezing.
I normally remove part of the head of the screw (just enough for clearance) so if I want to fully remove the wedge, I just turn it so it will allow the spring to NOT catch on it to make removal easy . My guns are all converted to cartridge (all .45 Colt) and have this set-up to facilitate cleaning (when I actually clean um . . . .new smokeless powder thing let's me go without for a long time lol). My wedges have a set up different than the norm in that the spring acts as a positive lock ,preventing the wedge from working loose, thus assuring / maintaining a tight fit while shooting.

45 Dragoon
www.goonsgunworks.com

Well, you are a lucky man! Its a weird moment when you pull the trigger and see you barrel assy. go down range!! (Embarrassing too!!!!)

45 Dragoon

www.goonsgunworks.com

Then, paranoia sets in and you never want it to happen again!! So, you do things to make sure it won't! Lol

Back