Webley&Scott resumes manufacture for export

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Earlier this year Webley&Scott announced that they will resume manufactring revolvers. The company has been making airguns since getting out of firearm business in the 1970s.

The new designs are based on the classic Webley MkIV of the .455 fame. The changes from the original include grey-parkerized stainless steel construction, strengthened lockup and modern chamberings.

The 45LC version is available with 4.5" and 6.5" barrels, the 38spl version comes with 4.5" barrel only. Both guns feature fixed rear sights (milled into the barrel extension) and dovetailed front sights.

The revolvers will ship by early may. MSRP as not announced but expected to be in the $700-800 range.

Unfortunately, this isn't really happening. My question to you is: if it were true, could Webley brand be revived? Would you buy such products?

Yes, but not at that price. They could have them manufactured in Czech republic or Hungary or even in Ireland and have them cost $450 or less. I would want one in .38 with a 6" barrel and adjustable sights though.

Dang it Oleg. You had me half way out the door on the way to the gun shop when I realized two things. One, it is four o'clock in the morning and two I'm not dressed.:o
Does that answer your question?:D

Oleg Volk, may the Bird of Paradise fly up your nose! Shame on you! You've almost brought tears to my eyes.

I more-or-less agree with makarov, but I'll take mine in .45 Colt w/ 6" bbl, please.

Sigh. So there I was, guessing whether they'd be made with old-time Webley quality, and trying to figure how I could come up with the money for one. I should have known the prospect was too good to be true. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think they'd sell. But I don't know if enough of them would sell for such a venture to be considered worthwhile.

Oleg, I'll bet a lot of W&S fans are upset by that trick. Actually, I don't know of many people who would buy an obsolete, low powered, and rather weak revolver with a poor trigger pull at even a fourth of that price. The only reason they ever sold the Mk IV at all (except to the military as a substitute standard for the Enfield Revolver No. 2) was that police in "the colonies" were officered by Brits or brainwashed into thinking "British is Best".

Today, interest in the Webleys is as collectors items and symbols of the lost glory of the empire on which the sun never set. Darn few Webley owners will choose them for personal defense; fewer non-owners would buy one for that purpose.

Jim

Back