Webley MkII Extractor Lever

Beretta686

I have a Webley MkII shaved down to .45ACP with an extractor lever that quit working. I can find a MkIII extractor level, but not a MkII. So:

-Can I use a MkIII extractor lever in a MkII?
-Is there a way to repair a Webley extractor lever?
-Who has MkII parts in stock? I already tried Apex and a few of the other obvious ones.

Sorry I can't help much with the needed part.

-Can I use a MkIII extractor lever in a MkII?
I don't know. Possibly, but that's only a wild guess.

-Is there a way to repair a Webley extractor lever?
Yes, but its not simple. It would require welding metal on to the original, and then filling it down until it works again. Lots of trial and error required, and making an entirely new part out of steel stock might be simpler.

-Who has MkII parts in stock? I already tried Apex and a few of the other obvious ones.

Webley parts are where, and as you find them. Some parts are fairly common, others seem to be "unobtainium".

One thing I can tell you is to never shoot a Webley MK II (or any of the other Marks) with ,45ACP ammunition. The guns that were "shaved" were cut so owners could use .45ACP CASES to load suitable ammo for them. NOT so they could be shot with .45ACP ammo.

The Marks I-IV are not rated for smokeless powder, and if shot at all should only be shot with ammo loaded specifically for them, using black powder.

The Mark V and VI are rated for smokeless powder ammo. BUT, NOT for .45ACP pressures!!!! Standard .45ACP ball ammo pressure is a proof level load for the Webley revolver, and should not be used.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Good luck finding the part you need.

Please tell me that you're not intending to fire your Webley with .45 ACP ammo or even smokeless powder.

That would be a very bad idea.

Did you try BRP corp?

They occasionally have Webley parts.

Same with Jack First.

Thanks for the lead on Jack First, I wasn't tracking them as a place to look for parts.

For the ammo, since the original 455 Webley loading was a 265gr, I figure a steady diet of Buffalo Bore 255gr 45ACP +P rounds will work the best.

For the ammo, since the original 455 Webley loading was a 265gr, I figure a steady diet of Buffalo Bore 255gr 45ACP +P rounds will work the best.

Since the Webley was designed around a cartridge with a max pressure of 13,000 psi (the .455 Webley), that is the worse thing I have read on this forum.

You need to get rid of that gun before you injure yourself or someone next to you.

One thing I can tell you is to never shoot a Webley MK II (or any of the other Marks) with ,45ACP ammunition. The guns that were "shaved" were cut so owners could use .45ACP CASES to load suitable ammo for them. NOT so they could be shot with .45ACP ammo.

The Marks I-IV are not rated for smokeless powder, and if shot at all should only be shot with ammo loaded specifically for them, using black powder.

While I agree that shaved Webleys should be shot only with heavily downloaded .45 ACP ammo, I doubt that the '60s importers made any effort to warn buyers against shooting their modded revolvers with modern, smokeless loads?
My (black powder) Mark I has Nitro Proof markings on the cylinder, which indicates it was fired with later, smokeless loads and survived, but I wouldn't take that as carte blanche to fire anything that will fit in the cylinder.
.455 operates at a little over half .45 ACP pressure, and it's not just the peak pressure but the nature of the pressure curve that is not compatible with black powder arms.
I shot factory smokeless .44-40 rounds in a black powder-era Colt, lots of people have done so for decades, but I don't do it anymore.

They might work best if your intent is to use a factory round to wreck your Webley.

One of the drawbacks to our forum (and all written text) is that without something to stand out and identify it, sarcasm is difficult to determine.

Here we often use the smilies to show emotional intent. :rolleyes: is usually used to show intentional sarcasm. Or you can just write something like "sarcasm intentional", etc. If you don't, someone(s) is going to think you are serious, and that can have disagreeable, and even dangerous consequences.

If you are making a sarcastic, or tongue in cheek kind of statement, or even complete BS in order to be funny or to make a point, PLEASE use a statement or smilies to ensure people understand, and so they don't take it as being seriously meant.

I doubt that the '60s importers made any effort to warn buyers against shooting their modded revolvers with modern, smokeless loads?

Probably not..if they even knew... it was a different era, and there was neither a law, nor a generally held compunction to inform people that fire burned and water was wet. People were generally expected to know what they were doing, and if they didn't bother to do that, what ever happened was their fault.

Risks were assessed differently then. Early 60s cars had neither seatbelts nor safety glass. Heck, back then, a lot of Doctor's smoked!! And I don't mean they went outside and had a smoke I mean they smoked in offices, examining rooms, and anywhere else they felt like it, so long as wasn't near in use oxygen...

A much different attitude prevails today, and indeed is codified in various laws.

"For the ammo, since the original 455 Webley loading was a 265gr, I figure a steady diet of Buffalo Bore 255gr 45ACP +P rounds will work the best."

IF you survive the inevitable shower of chunky gun parts, at least your friends can give you a nifty new nickname -- Lefty.

"My (black powder) Mark I has Nitro Proof markings on the cylinder, which indicates it was fired with later, smokeless loads and survived, but I wouldn't take that as carte blanche to fire anything that will fit in the cylinder."

Many of the early Webley marks were proofed with nitro (cordite) ammo.

The problems didn't become apparent until the gun had been fired a few dozen times. Chambers would become out of round or bulged, the latch mechanism would become stretched and sloppy, and cylinder splits/blowouts were not unknown.

Webley revolvers Mks I, II, and III were all designed for blackpowder cartridges.

With the introduction of cordite, the Mk IV revolver was designed and adopted after it became apparent that the earlier Mks weren't strong enough for use with cordite. The Mks I, II, and III revolvers were withdrawn from service.

I guess it truly is a big deal if I don't add ":rolleyes:" to a comment so patently absurd, it's difficult to imagine someone missing that it was obviously in jest.

I went ahead and ordered a MkIII extractor leveler from Apex, and we'll see if it will work when I run the downloaded 45ACP and 45 Auto Rim rounds my buddy is loading for me.

"I guess it truly is a big deal if I don't add "" to a comment so patently absurd, it's difficult to imagine someone missing that it was obviously in jest."

I wish we could honestly say to you that yes, that was a patently absurd statement.

Unfortunately, many of us have seen far, FAR worse statements made at TFL by people who were 100% serious in making them.

Stuff that makes you think that Darwin was, in fact, wrong and that the fittest do not always crowd out the unfit. And that sometimes, in fact, the unfit thrive, produce offspring, and those offspring end up asking questions at TFL.

Back