Webley MK I Rebuild

Glade

Inactive
I recently bought a Webley MK I...well at least the main components. I need some help finishing this beauty though, mainly finding INTERNAL PARTS. Basically I need everything but the external parts. If you guys know anywhere a guy in the states can find MK I parts i'd really appreciate it. Also if you can tell me if any MK II-VI parts can be substituted and how I put the thing together, it would help.

Thanks!

-Glade

pix551687519.jpg

pix500522611.jpg

Gun Parts Corp. (www.gunpartscorp.com) has SOME parts for the Mk VI, SOME of whose parts will interchange with parts for the Mk I. They might also have parts for the Mk I, but in quantity too small to catalog, so try writing them. But I really think the problems involved in finding and fitting parts, plus the costs involved, make the idea utterly impractical.

BTW, that is quite a "broad" broad arrow; I have never seen anything like it and wonder if anyone else has.

Jim

I was wondering the same thing, I've never seen a Broad Arrow such as that before. Those parts have also been buffed down at least once.

Even if you get the parts, fitting is not easy. If you understand how the lockwork of a Python works, you have a chance at getting the Webley to work.

Depends. For the time and work, it's not worth it. For the learning experience, it is. You should learn how to work on Pythons first. At least some parts are available and some teachers are around.

I believe the only way you are going to find all the parts for a Mk I is going to be to find, and buy a complete Mk I (or enough partials to get all the needed parts), and use them, either as fitted parts, or as template for someone to make you new parts to fit into your Webley.

There never were many of the Mk Is around in the US, and most of them have been collector non-shooters for a long, long time.

IIRC, the large broad arrow was a New Zealand property mark.

I never had an incomplete Mk I, but I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of Mk VI parts will work.

My memory isn't what it used to be. It is also possible that the broad arrow on the top strap is a South African property mark. I have seen numerous Mk Is and Mk IVs with that broad arrow cut into the top strap. It stuck in my mind that it was a New Zealand mark, but now I'm not sure.

I do have a Mk VI with the "N^Z" such as you describe, but it is dated 1940.

Its Royal Navy

Hey guys,

I just found out from my friends on the Victorian Wars Forum that the "broad" broad arrow actually means "Royal Navy" Issued. This is confirmed by the "N" I found on the back-strap. I also found all the parts I need (expect the hammer) for $80.00 so i'm a happy man! And its unconverted! Any idea if a mark VI hammer would work?

To finding the parts, I can only say, really incredible! Buy a lottery ticket while your luck holds.

Jim

Back