Webley Mk. I; Metford rifling?

RickB

The bore of my Webley appears smooth, as if it had been polished to the extent that the rifling was mostly removed, but after watching a TV show (Forgotten Weapons, highly recommended) that explained the difference between a Lee-Metford and a Lee-Enfield, I'm wondering if the Webley has Metford rifling?
Looks sort of like a modern polygonal bore.

Sometimes the old guns can pickup so much lead that they can appear to be smooth. I have an old Marlin 1893 that was pretty cruded up and showed very faint rifling until I decided to scrub it.

I know that Unclenick has written about an old handgun that he had that was very leaded like your description.

Not just smooth, but mirror bright.

A solid coating of lead can be.

And be aware that a barrel can be both "shot out" worn rifling AND coated with lead at the same time.

Try one of the commercial systems for removing lead, and see what, if any difference it makes.

Good luck!

Some further research indicates that your Webley (or all of them, actually) have "standard" rifling. It may be on the shallow side, but it isn't Metford rifling.

Metford rifling was, essentially an experiment, based on the belief that at the "high" velocity of the .303 round standard rifling would cut and tear bullet jackets. It is widely known, but wasn't widely used, and after a few years of the real world showing that regular rifling did not tear up .303 bullets, the British dropped Metford rifling.

As far as I can find, Metford rifling was never used in any of their handguns, only in some of their rifles, and was discontinued when it proved unnecessary.

Some sporting arms of the era also used Metford rifling (it does work) but the use of Metford rifling in sporting arms generally went away not long after the military dropped it.

Your Webley has standard rifling (though it may be worn) and from the description a heavy build up of lead in the bore.

Getting the lead out can take more than a bit of scrubbing. There are chemical compounds (including mercury) that will save you a lot of elbow work, but they are nasty, and very toxic so care must be taken, proper PPE used and disposal in accordance with your local laws.

Good Luck!

For those eagerly awaiting an update . . . I ran a Lewis Lead Remover through the bore, three times, and not a trace of lead.
It must just be a really shiny, worn barrel.

To the best of my knowledge Metford rifling was never used in handguns.

What really killed Metford rifling was the switch from black powder to Cordite (yes, early .303 British rounds were loaded with black powder).

Cordite burned FAR hotter than black powder and in combination with the softer steels of the time Cordite quickly eroded the shallow rifling in the barrel ledes into uselessness.

Back