webley mk 1 dating?

azdave35

Inactive
i recently acquired a webley mk1 recut to 45 acp.the serial # is 11*** ..i cant seem to find much info on dating it..can anyone give me a ballpark on what year it was made?

First, how certain are you of the identification of the pistol???

I'm no expert, will have to do some research, but if I recall correctly NONE of the early Webleys are safe to shoot with smokeless powder, and I know for a fact that NONE of them, including the last "modern" MK VI should be shot with .45acp ammunition!

They are pretty big guns, leading one to think they are strong guns, but they really aren't. Despite the fact that many (if not most in the US) were cut to take .45acp BRASS when the supply of .455 Webley ammo dried up, they should NOT BE FIRED with .45ACP ammunition!!!!!

Standard GI .45ACP ball is a proof level pressure load for the Webley. DON'T SHOOT IT in a Webley!!!

The guns can be shot using handloads, made in .45acp cases, but loaded to the lower pressures and velocity suitable for the Webley.

I have a Mk VI, dated 1917.

If you have a Webley Mk I, its black powder only, and if I remember right, would have been made in the 1880s or so. Will do some research and see just what I can find.

Again, even though SOMEONE cut it to take .45acp rounds DO NOT SHOOT .45ACP ammo in the gun. EVER.

and, did I mention, don't shoot factory .45ACP??? :D

Webley Mk I was adopted in 1887.
They went smokeless in 1894 with the Mk II Cordite revolver and upgrade of older guns to Mk 1* by installation of a steel breechface.

Mk III had some mechanical changes, Mk IV had better steel.

Mk V had a larger diameter cylinder which was used in upgrade of older guns to Mk I** etc. One might think they had a good reason for that.

Mk VI got a square butt and some simplification for mass production with WWI already under way.

None are strong enough for .45 ACP. If I had one that had been cut, I would load it with the starting load for .45 Auto Rim, or my powderpuff .45 Minor target load.

Although the Mk Is were "converted" for use with cordite-loaded ammunition, it quickly became evident that even with the modifications the guns quickly became unservicable or even unsafe with smokeless powder.

The Mk Is were, along with the Mk IIs and the few Mk IIIs that made it into service, were all withdrawn because none of them were up to use with cordite-loaded ammo.

The Mk IV, aka the Boer War model, was significantly redesigned and was the first one to be rated for extended use with smokeless ammo.

A Mk I recut to .45 ACP is a damned frightening prospect. There's no way I'd want to fire such a gun.

I'd take Jim's advice one step farther, though...

I'd not fire it with any smokeless powders of any kind.

Black powder only.

Back