Webley Identification Help

22lrfan

Inactive
I recently acquired a 6-shot solid frame Webley revolver that I think is a Webley No. 1 1/2. It has a 4 1/4" octogon barrel and is in .442 caliber. The top strap is marked "P. Webley & Son" and "London & Birmingham". It's marked 442 on one of the barrel flats. It has a stamp on each side of the frame of a winged bullet with "W&S" under it. The serial number 26XXX is on the frame and cylinder. The cylinder pin is held in place with a thumb screw. It has a loading gate but no ejector. The empty shell have to be removed with a pencil or something similar. It has checkered wood grips and a hole for the lanward ring. The lanyard ring is missing. It has a spring loaded piece on the left side of the frame that acts as a half cock safety. The hammer is pulled back slightly and this piece pushed in. It holds the hammer back about a quarter inch. The Blue Book says "Webley No. 1 1/2 Model - .442 or .450 cal., 4 1/4" octogon barrel, limited examples of ser. nos. 28,000 and 60,000 have been observed." All I have been able to find out is that P.Webley & Sons merged with or became Webley & Scott in 1897. I'm trying to find out for sure if it is a model 1 1/2 and its approximate age. Thanks in advance.

Back