Weaver OR Burris Var. Pistol Scope?

EQUALIZER

I have a choice to make and wanted someones opinion who might have had experience w/these.

Weaver 2.5-8x28 variable pistol scope

OR

Burris 3-12x32 Same but has Adj. parallax.

I like the adjustable parallax feature, but don't know that it'd be worth the extra $120.

I plan to shoot at various ranges, otherwise I'd just send the Weaver back to have its 50yd parallax changed to another distance for $15.

Uses: Silhouette, long range 25-100yd. precision target grouping.

Any educated opinions are welcome.

Well I have both so I’ll give my thoughts

The weaver V8 is on my 357max contender barrel, over all it’s a good scope and has served me for about 6months. The biggest draw back is eye relief, at the higher powers it’s kind of picky about eye alignment and how far it’s from your eye, I have about a 2-inch sweet spot at 8x. It has good clarity at all powers and ranges that I shoot out to 200yds(mostly 100yds though) and parallax has never been a problem so far. Over all it’s a good quality scope that has taken at least a thousand 357max and 357mag loads with no trouble at all.

The Burris 3x12 is a real sweetheart, it’s on my .223 barrel and I have shot it out to 500yds with good success when I do my part, most shots are in the 300yd range.I have worked the shyt out of this scope using different loads adjusting elevation and windage and it still will hold what ever I leave it on until I work up something else. Eye relief is the most forgiving of any scope I have tried, Clarity is a bit better than the weaver I think but it’s so close it’s really hard to say one way or the other, focus is also very good at all ranges. The parallax adjustment is there but I have never needed it, nice feature if you need it. field of view is also larger 14'at 3x 4' at 12x the weaver is 8' at 2.5 and 4' at 8x

For the uses you stated the Burris would be overkill IMHO but if you think you will shoot past 100yds get the Burris hands down.

John

Thanks a whole lot, John!

In my previous post I should have stated, "Silhouette AND precision target shooting." I don't know if that came across. I want to see what my guns are actually capable of and wring out as much accuracy as possible off a sand bag or adjustable cradle rest. Most of this w/be done at or under 100 yds so I think the magnification is OK for either. Will also be changing mounts from time to time to my rifles but shooting w/mostly be no more than 250 yds.

You mentioned that you never need you Burris's parallax adjustment. Have you been able to group MOA at 100 yds w/out parallax?

Sorry if you already answered this. I'm just not sure if I gave enough info to start with and wanted this confirmed one way or another with the issue of long range handgunning. Thanks alot!

One more question. Since I was going to use this on several different guns, I was considering weaver quick change rings....the ones with the big thumb nuts-blue thread locked down of course. Someone recommended the Remington type that screw onto the base, but since the scope will be changed from time to time, this doesn't seem practical. Conserned about the rings loosening up on the weaver though. Won't be shooting anything w/quite as much recoil as you are BTW.

Best regards,

eq

PS: The best price I can find the Burris is through Natchez. I think it was $270 for the plex (not target) model. Not asking you to do a search, but if you got yours recently, do you know if I could do much better than this somewhere else?

Eq I have no problem keeping MOA at 100yds without adjusting for Parallax, If I do my part I can put 3 50gr blitz kings into 1 hole (if you look close you might see 2) most 3 shot groups you can cover with a Dime, even out to 300 I keep 1MOA or under when I do my part. Out to 250 definitely go with the Burris it will serve you much better. As for the weaver Quick release rings I have never used them, But weaver makes Good stuff and I don’t think they will loosen up unless on a Big boomer, I use 3 millet clamp type rings on mine and even the 45/70 super 14 won’t loosen them up. Right now Natchez has factory refurbished 3x12 LER regular plex and target plex, you might find better deal but I doubt it.
http://search.cartserver.com/search...tegory=Optics&maxhits=20&keywords=o06pistolbu

Hope the link works, the factory refurbished scope should carry a full warranty (check first) should save you some bucks.
BTW you mentioned you might put the scope on a Rifle??? Unless you have a scout type mount all you will see is a black hole at Rifle length eye reliefs.

John

John,

3 Shot groups you can cover with a dime! That's mighty impressive, even if you'd been using a benchrest rifle! :eek:

I made a mistake when I said Remington rings. I meant Redfield. Anyway, I plan to go with the Weavers since it'll be removed from time to time. Sounds like they should work along w/a drop of blue locktite. You're right about the mount. I plan to get a scout mount from Brownells that should fit the bill. Even though the fore end must be removed and rebated some, it'll kill two birds w/one shot and save me the work of having to heat and bend the bolt on my mauser action to clear the scope. Won't have to worry about clearance w/the scope ahead of the action and the eye relief should be just right with either of those scopes.

Like I said, most shooting w/be 100yds or less, except for occasions when I mount it to one of my hunting rifles (250yds or less). I'm going to see if I can swing the extra bucks and get the Burris. Then I should probably invest the time and training that you've put into the craft. That's some sharp shooting! Thanks alot for all of the information. You've been a big help, John.

Greatfully,

eq

Eq Glad to help, you should be happy with the Burris on either the Handgun or the rifle.BTW let me know what kind of scout type mount you use on the mauser, My dad is thinking about doing a scout type mount on one of his mausers, any Info would help him out. Thanks for the kind comments on my shooting, just so ya know my Contender is a mini benchrest rifle after all the Extra’s, Bullberry .223 match bull barrel, custom bench rest type forend(3 inches wide) and custom fitted handgrip from Denzel Roberts and a Benchrest type pistol rest. the scope/mount ya know about, lot’s of hand loading also. If it were stock I don’t think it would shoot this good or at least that’s what I tell my self when I think of All the money I have in it!!!! To top it all off I shoot at least once a week and shoot the contender at least twice a month 100rds or more, that takes a while ONE at a time!!!!

Good luck
John

Back