Weaver No Drill Scope Base

Rookie21

If anyone here has experience with the Weaver "no drill" scope bases for revolvers like a Ruger Blackhawk or Colt Trooper could you please answer a question or two for me?

The mount for a Ruger is a #301 I think.. the Colt is a #303 or #304 maybe. It screws in to where the rear sight screws in to, and then at the forward end of the rib there is a ring or collet that sets over the barrel. How does that portion, the barrel portion, attach? Why does one screw and a collet make a solid mount?

I don't think this mount is made anymore but I'm interested in buying a used one but I want to know more about how it works before I commit to one. My interest is mounting a scope without drilling into the gun.

Thank you

I had one on a Ruger Super Blackhawk quite a few years back and it worked absolutely fine. It never came loose and I was shooting full power loads with 240g bullets and WW296 powder. IIRC, the collet on the front had a screw that turned and tightened on the barrel. FWIW, it left no marks when taken off. Buy it, you'll be happy with it.

I have one on my black hawk in 357, the front half C sits on the barrel. I’ve run several hundred of extremely hot loads in my gun( 180 grain bullet over 13 grains of 2400 chrono verified 1300 FPS) and it has held up and held zero . I can’t say the same for a few red dots that I used on it. Buy it and enjoy, I did remove mine to check the barrel where it sat and no marks.

Thanks guys. I did buy it. It’s for a Colt Officers Model Match. I’m sure I’ll see and understand better when it comes in, but I’m wondering if that screw pushes through the collet and contacts the barrel?

They work well !!!

I want to know more about how it works before I commit to one.
They do work well. In addition to Weaver, B-Square and Burris makes or made these. There are others that don't come to mind at this point. I have used all three brands and they all work well, just take a different mounting method. .;)

One word of caution is to try and protect any contact areas, especially if it's a Blued finish. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!!

Mount arrived today. Nice and solid on top of the Colt Officers Model Match and no drilling needed! I wonder why these mounts aren’t made anymore. Seems like a good design.

I wonder why these mounts aren’t made anymore
Most all shooters have gone to red dots instead of scopes on handguns. I haven't put a scope on a handgun in thirty years. Red dots are lighter, easier to mount, easier to shoot, and the mounts required are much smaller and lighter. There simply isn't a market for these types of mounts now days. Once you go through the scope process on a handgun and find the inherent flaws with using a scope on a handgun, try a red dot and you'll never look back.

Oh I have red dots mounted on pistols. I shoot NRA Precision Pistol (Bullseye). I'm working on testing loads for my Colt and S&W revolvers for Distinguished Revolver matches. The iron sights are giving me trouble off the bench. Not an issue when competing but off the bench I'm having some trouble. So I want to use the scope to help test the loads. Once I find what I need the scopes are coming off and the iron sights will go back on.

Rookie21, that's the best use for a scope on a handgun. It does assist in finding the best load for the gun. I'd just assumed you were going to try and hunt with a scope on the revolver and leave it on.

I don’t run optics on my handguns. Several years ago I got a killer deal on a S&W 19 with 6” barrel and it came with scope in Weaver no drill. Gun looked brand new and I paid less than price just for gun. Guy was shooting Win factory 357 and gave me 6 boxes of brass and a partial box of ammo with it. He insisted I shoot it in his yard. Gun was tuned in nicely at 50 yds. First thing I did when I got it home was peel the scope off it. I was a little miffed when I noticed those front “clamps” had marred the blue. I still have that gun, only because it shoots well with factory sights. I tried several different cold blues but ended up just leaving it be. When you get a gun that shoots well you have to be careful about trading/ selling. Even if you replace with new gun of same model, it may not shoot as well. I learned that the hard way.

I got miffed at myself !!!

First thing I did when I got it home was peel the scope off it. I was a little miffed when I noticed those front “clamps” had marred the blue.
That's why I put that word of caution in my reply #6. However, this time, I only have myself to blame. ….. !!;)

Be Safe !!!

I put some grease on the inside of the collet hoping it would limit or prevent and bluing damage. I put it on once and took it off carefully and I didn’t see anything I didn’t like so when I put it back on I was equally careful. My hope now is recoil doesn’t cause and rub to the finish.

Back