Weaver Classic V-Series

Surp

Looking for an all purpose scope.

I was going to go with the 4-16x42 but I found the 6-24x42 for close to the same price. I like the idea of 4 power for close shots but I am starting to think I would only lose 2 on the low end and gian 8 on the high end.

Thoughts?

My Classic V is 3 - 10 power on a Winchester model 70 and I find that 10x is plenty for anything I do. Keep in mind that optics are always a trade-off. Higher magnification comes at the expense of dimmed brightness and a much narrower field of view. To me, 24x would not be at all useful.

YMMV

Most of my hunting scopes are either 4.5-14 or 4-16. I like the 4 power on the low end for the hunts up in the woods in dim light. When I'm in my blinds on the edge of fields, I usually keep the scope on either 8 power or 10 power, and I don't have a problem finding the pigs and coyotes at that power. But, on my laser beam 220, I have a 6.5-20 Leupold. I've shot sitting coyotes at 350 and could read their expressions before I pulled the trigger.

Think I am going with the 6x24 even though I probably don't need it. I just can't bring myself to pay more money for the lesser 4-16.

big

What does the scope(s) weigh????? If one is actually going to "hunt"with it, and not just ride it around on an ATV to a shooting house, I suppose weight and bulk doesn't matter. But if you are going to carry the thing over hill and dale, those extra ounces are important.

For me, a GP scope needs no more size, weight or magnification than 3-9x. Something with more magnification falls into the category of varmint-target and is beginning to get specialized. I realize that 3-9x is pretty old school these days, so I might consider something along the lines of 2-10x, possibly 4-12X
but only IF I lived west of the MS.

There's no hard and fast rule about optics, but -
Generally, with lower priced scopes, the ones with the least magnification for the purpose give the best quality view.
The higher the magnification, due to construction, the lower the resolution, especially in dim light.
Unless you really need all that zoom, choose the shortest version for job and the best scope value.
And the higher the magnification, the harder it is to hold the reticule steady, too.

The first job this scope will take is target shooting since that is what I do most often, everything else comes second but like I said I will use it as an all purpose scope.

I decided to buy and mounted the v24 on my rifle because I already have 4, 2x7, 4x12, ect power scopes so this will be my first high magnification. Plus like I said it was on sale for less than the v16 so I figured why not.

This is a milsurp rifle (thats the reason I went with this Weaver line over something else) and I am willing and able to haul the extra pounds of it so scope weight was not that big of a factor for me (less than an ounce anyway).

Last edited:
the box still has made in japan on it.

As far as how i like it I really haven't got to play with it much so i can't honestly answer that but build quality seems allright. I should get to take it out for a test run this weekend and if I do I'll make sure to report back for you.

Back