Weathrerby Magnums Primers

milboltnut

What's your take on Federal 215 primers?

Horandy writes about the 300...

To ignite the hefty charges of powder required for top velocities the Federal 215 primer is recommended. (The 215, a hot magnum primer, was developed specifically for this task).

I used magnum primer for W760 in my 06'... group tightened up nicely.

I read on the rest of the magnum write ups, and only the Weatherbys had the quote I wrote here, with the exception of the 375 weatherby, which wouldn't do it any good with it's heavy bullets. A few non-weatherbys use 215, but the rest use WLRM, R 9/12 M. Some 210.

I went on a Weatherby.dk and Weatherby nation forum. DK forum had a poll about the 215. Most on the Nation forum favors the 215. Here's the result.
https://www.weatherby.dk/showthread.php?46-Your-Favourite-primer-for-Weatherby-rifles

Last edited:
Select the words by click-and-drag. Then click on the little icon that looks like a tiny globe with a chain link at the lower right. It then gives you a place to paste the URL of the page you want to link to.

I load a lot of 270 and 300 Weatherby Magnum, definitely use the 215, especially with the 300 which is a fairly cavernous case and usually uses slowish powders with the bigger bullets.

Federal Primers.

The link is to all Federal primers including the NO. 215 and the GM215M (Gold Medal Match) flavors. I have used both for loading 7mm Remington Magnum and 257 Weatherby Magnum loads and a few others. While I can't say for sure the Federal 215 flavors worked better they all worked fine.

Primers come in different strengths, technically known as “brisance,” a word defined as “the shattering effect of a high explosive.”
As to brisance I guess it all depends on what you read.

Taken from the above link in order of brisance:
Large Rifle Magnum

CCI 250
CCI #34 - commercial version of the fully-qualified DOD primer for use in U.S. military ammo.
Federal 215 - original magnum primer
Remington 9 ½ M - mildest magnum primer.
RWS 5333
Winchester WLRM
Wolf/Tula Large Rifle Magnum LRM #KVB-7M - all brass - "For Magnum Rifle loads".

The link to Federal Primers includes their suggested MSRP but we know that means little to nothing. :)

Ron

Last edited:
Back