Weatherby ?

hootey

Discovered a weatherby dealer last weekend in nearby town. The store has been there a while, just I never go that way usually. Anyway, the guy running it was professional (not the arrogant snoot the LGS has) and of course he had weatherby rifles and shotguns galore. He had items on the shelves in quantity that the LGS store where I live refuse to stock. The LGS snoot always says he won't stock the items I need cause he can't sell em. This is why I usually mail order most of my stuff. The trained professional salesman at the weatherby store told me he can't keep the stuff I liked in stock. I was impressed, needless to say. He even offered to show me some of his new rifles ( he has a new 30-06 that he absolutely guaranteed to shoot less than one inch groups with premium ammo for less than next months mortgage payment). They are truly nice weapons but, I have never fired one or owned one. How many of you have em and like em? :confused:

My only experience with Weatherby was a late 50's Southgate Weatherby built using a Mauser action. Roy himself probably built it. It was in .300 Weatherby Magnum and even had a Weatherby scope. The most elegant rifle I've ever owned but far from the most accurate. Probably because of my flinch when that old girl tried to separate my shoulder from the rest of my body.

I'm so into accuracy in my Bolt guns now that I probably wouldn't own another. Except as a Collector.

I have a weatherby vanguard series 2 in 30-06, Its a great rifle and I get tons of compliments on it. Shoots 1 moa with cheap factory loads. In my opinion its one of the best rifles in its price range.

My dad absolutely adores his totally stock Vanguard in 300WSM. I've been equally impressed with it. Excellent rifle at nearly any price...much less the $500-600 price for these.

I've had a Mark V Syn. in .300 Wby. Mag. for several years and have been completely satisfied.

I would highly recommend it.

W-M

Love my Weatherby

I have a Japanese made Weatherby Mark V in 30-06 with black stock. Excellent fit and finish, accurate and a joy to shoot.

I have a series one vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag. Absolutely lobe the rifle. Had it since I was 12. Lost it for a few years in my moms divorce but got it back when I turned 18. Mine has a horrible trigger, really gritty and jumpy. Never really thought about how bad it was until I shot a series 2 vanguard in .223 Rem. that was also bone stock. Now I just have to find somebody good to smooth it out and lighten it up. It's a real shooter though. When I was younger and rifle ammo was cheaper(step-dad buying it) I could put 5 rounds in a 16 oz water bottle at 500 yards, thanks to lots of trigger time and lots of coaching. Boy, I wish I could still shoot that good, if only ammo wasn't so expensive. Now I'm shooting sub .5" groups at 100 yards with reloaded 162gr Hornady SST's. Need the weather to cool down so I can hit the 300 yard range.

They are very well made and affordable rifles. I do not have experience with their shotguns though. IMHO the vanguard series rifles are the best and most affordable rifles for under $600 at most gun shops.

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone

Last edited:
I picked up a Vanguard S2 last year in 243 Winchester. Very, very accurate, great trigger and great price. I would not hesitate to buy another if I find myself needing another rifle.

My Vanguard in 243 is very accurate. With a sandbag under the forearm stock (but not under the base of the stock), I can get at least 1.2" groups at 100 yards with any ammo I have tried so far. The best groups have been 5/8 inch. but to me the impressive thing is that I have not found any factory ammo that shoots a bigger group than 1.2 inch...

I have 3. One is a Vanguard Deluxe in .257 Wby Magnum the other 2 are MkV Deluxe in .270 Wby Mag and .300 Wby Mag. All 3 are exceptionally well made, shoot far better than I can and will be in the family long after I'm worm food. Generally speaking, the wook on the Dlxe models is just too nice to pass up.

The ONLY downdsides are the initial cost, and their appetite for powder. Other than that, if I had the money, I'd own one of every caliber MkV ever made.

Got the habit bad here. They are wonderful guns and those beautiful stocks are also very functional when you pull the trigger.
Mine fit me like a glove.

the rifle he offered was probably the vanguard second generation. they are all guaranteed MOA and have quite a fan club growing. I bought my brothers 1st gen vanguard in 300 WBY mag. it is my kill anything in north america rifle and it is a real tack driver when I can control my flinch, that thing kicks like Chuck Norris on crack. I'm not fond of the synthetic stocks that they come with and they are pretty heavy compared to a winchester 70 or a remington 700 but they are a great gun for a great price. I wouldn't mind having one in 30-06.

I have a Vanguard S2 in .308 and the build quality is great for a rifle in this price range (mine was $429). Before buying one, however, consider the following. First, it is a heavy rifle and weighs around a pound more than a comparable Rem 700. This is not an issue for stand hunting, but if you are humping up and down hills all day it might be a consideration. Second, it has a two stage trigger, which not everyone likes. It is, however, a two stage trigger that is user adjustable, comes from the factory set at around three pounds, it is very smooth and it breaks like glass. In short, if you like two stage triggers you will love the S2.

As with any firearm, see if you can put a few rounds down range through one to see if you like it before spending your hard earned money.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard chambered in .300 wby mag and I love it it's been a very accurate gun and I have taken a many nice bucks with it.

I messed around with the forearm bedding and installed a Canjar trigger in my German made Mark V, .30-'06. 1970 vintage. Sub-MOA. I've put some 4,000 rounds through it. Load testing, plinking, coyotes, deer, javelina. One turkey. :) Always reliable. "Old Pet", for sure.

I've got a three year old Vanguard in .300 WSM and it shoots three touching in the bull at a hundred consistantly with Federal and Remington 150 grain ammo---very well done satin finished walnut stock, Monte Carlo cheek piece, great recoil pad and decent trigger--it shot this way right out of the box-possibly the best bolt action I've ever owned---john

Back