Weatherby vanguard

RedSkyFarm

Hi, all. I have a Weatherby Vanguard series 1 (I think) in a .308. The action screws come loose on a regular basis. The torque for a series 1 is 35 in-lbs. Series 2 is 55 in-lbs. Two questions: #1). Want to make sure it is a series 1. It has an all black stock with a three position safety. Been told black stock is series 1. Also been told a three position safety is a series two. Please help clarify. Makes a difference on the torque. Need to know this first before I use lock tite. #2). I have been torquing to 35 in-lbs, taking 2 shots and rechecking torque. Every time I check, I get some movement. Would think after a few times, it would settle. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks.)

Shouldn't be getting "regular" loosening of the action screws; loctite also shouldn't be necessary if all's "right" with the action fit.

Any "rocking" or movement of the action in the stock (no screws in place)?

Are you seating the recoil lug and snugging the front screw lightly first, before the rear screw? (lightly tap the buttpad on the floor to be sure the lug is tight against the stock).

All my Series 1 are 2 position safety. I wouldn't be concerned about using LokTite but would be concerned about why it needed.
Do some serious inspection to determine if the stock is warped/twisted/kinked. I have hauled a Series 1 in the pickup for weeks at a time and the screws don't loosen.

Also getting the magazine box and floorplate all the way settled in place can be a little fiddley. Mine fits snug at the back.

You can make yourself a pair of pillar sleeves pretty easy, then use greater torque values.

I skipped all that and put mine in a B & C Medalist Weatherby style stock. Huge upgrade IMO.

The series 1 have a 2 position safety and series 2's have a 3 position safety. I've never had a problem with any of the screws coming loose though. But I made pillar spacers as oldscout mentioned and tourque them down pretty good in my series 1 300 weatherby mag. Never put a tourqe wrench on my rifle, just use good judgment.

Thanks. Looks like I have a Series 2. I'll check how it fits together as far as any rocking. I've read this is not uncommon with the vanguards. Also read that the vanguards need/require forestock pressure on the barrel. Mainly why I wanted to make sure to torque to the right spec. Any thoughts on that?

I believe the Vanguard SII's are not free floated from the factory, one, maybe two pressure points on the barrel(?).

Is the barrel currently free floated? Are there any pressure points molded into the bottom of the barrel channel? The forends on Tupperware stocks flex- so place it on a rest in shooting position, and slide a business card (paper is too thin) down the barrel channel to check to see where the barrel makes contact with the stock.

In any case, free float or not, wouldn't cause the issue with the action screws. Any known history on the rifle, or is a pawn shop find?

I like to visually see my barrel is free floating. I added spacers like I said before to make sure it was free floated and sanded down the belly of the stock a bit. When I first acquired this rifle it was 1.5 MOA at best. Now it is sub MOA. Little trigger work, free floating and hand loads. By the way the series 1 vanguards triggers are garbage from the factory. I polished and polished and the polished some more to try and smoth it out. Also cut a ring out of the tension spring. Wouldn't recommend doing this though unless your absolutely sure of what your doing.

"...the Vanguards need/require..." That'll vary from rifle to rifle. Preferring a pressure point is an individual rifle preference.
As mentioned, S2's have a lever-type 3 position safety.
You really shouldn't need to torque the screws on a hunting rifle, but there's a post on one of the Weatherby forums that says, it's 35 in/lbs.(Block bedded stocks are 50 in/lbs.) for wood or synthetic stocks and the order is important. Rear screw first.
Read page 12.
https://www.weatherby.com/media/weatherby/manuals/Vanguard Series 2 Owners Manual Rev 5 2-29-12.pdf

Back