Weatherby Vanguard

Wendyj

I had a Remington 7-08 a few years back and was a so so rifle but didn't care much for the sps version. I was just handling a Vanguard in same caliber and I still have dies brass and several variations of bullets for it. The trigger seemed to break around 2.5 lbs or so just a guess. Don't know if it's adjustable or not. Clean break but maybe what I call a tad mushy. Want a pica tinny rail and was told same as Remington 700. Stock appears to have no floating at all. Only thing I see is weatherby guarantees a 1 inch group and although much different from my bench rifles I liked the weight and am thinking of buying for a light bolt action to carry for 150-200 yard hunting only. I'd prefer the 243 but I think twist rate is for varmit sized bullets and I have brass for it also but would have to pick up a set of dies. I don't know anything about the Japanese made rifles or so I'm told that's who makes them but the $425.00 price tag caught my eye. Anyone know anything about these rifles. Hate I have so many posts on rifles but I've been steered right on every gun I've bought with info from this forum.

I bought the series 1 a few years back in 3006. It's been a great rifle, good shooter and great trigger. Mine has the floating barrel. The downside is it's a little heavy and prone to surface rust.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I have a Vanguard and a Vanguard 2. Both are excellent shooters and I have no complaints of either. The other poster mentioned surface rust, but I have not had that problem.

Your price is good to go.

Long action bases will interchange with any 700 and any version of the Vanguard. The short action has different hole spacing on Vanguard and Remington. If buying 2 piece bases Remington and Vanguard are the same. But one piece bases are different.

Vanguards are nice rifles, but heavier than I want. Especially in a short action that recoils as little as a 7-08 or 308. I like a Vanguard better in a magnum cartridge where the added weight can be a plus.

But if you don't mind a rifle that will be around 9 lbs ready to hunt the Vanguards are very well made. I'd just prefer a 7-08 that can be scoped and come in under 8 lbs. Closer to 7 is even better.

Put ZERO faith in their accuracy guarantee. I had the same Vanguard S2 in 7-08. It would not meet the guarantee no matter what I did. Handloads, factory loads, scope changes, ring change, nothing helped.

Called Weatherby and was told quoting the man I talked to "I'd be wasting my time and money to send them the rifle for accuracy testing" so I had a gunsmith drop in a Bartlein barrel and it shoots great now.

I know that I probably just got a lemon and that happens, but to basically refuse to even look at the rifle just left a bad taste in my mouth. I can't recommend a weatherby rifle to anyone. BTW if you do send your rifle to them for accuracy testing they don't shoot the barreled action in the stock it shipped with. They use a "master stock" and they don't provide the target with the rifle after they send it back to you.

Last edited:
howa vangaurds are very fun and reliable

got my howa a while back, I was looking for a new bolt action that was very accurate, fellow member pointed me to howa

skeptical, but went with it after the reviews and recommendation i checked out

best purchase .... ever

610$ howa gameking , i only changed out the magazine plate for detachable setup

thats all ive done.... since owning it, its so solid out of box .... didnt need any tweaks to be a great shooter ;)

I have a heavy barreled .223 Howa 1500, essentially the same rifle as the Vangard, and it is very accurate. For the price that the OP can get one for, I would try it.

About three years ago, my lgs was selling Weatherby Vanguards at a close-out price of $299.99. Though I didn't "need" another rifle and certainly not one chambered in .257 Weatherby Magnum, I couldn't resist the price and got one. This Howa-actioned rifle has a nice trigger and has proven to be very accurate. Factory ammo is a little on the pricey side though...:eek:

Weatherby(Well, Howa. the J.A. Pan Co. that makes 'em. Not a bad thing though.) uses 1 in 10 for .243. It'll do most bullet weights with no fuss. Isn't really a varmint twist, but is kind of odd for .243.
The SPS version of the Rem M700 is the same as any other M700. Just has the synthetic stock.
"...Weatherby guarantees a 1 inch group... Their site says, "when used with Weatherby® factory or premium ammunition." No mention of a Series anything there. Lotta different models based mostly on the stock material, barrel length and type of steel. Few with detachable mags. Trigger is adjustable on all of 'em though.

I recently bought a Vanguard 223 Remington. It was made in 2008 so its a series 1. I put a Timney Trigger in it, most because the original series 1 trigger is a 2 position safety, and the Timney is a 3 position. My Vanguard is well made, and shoots well. I can easily get 1" groups at 100 yards when Im on. I like the weight, more like a sporter varmint, like my Winchester Model 70 Sporter Varmint. I paid $475 with a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40, so I think the OP price of $425 is good, especially for a series 2

I too will have to chime in on the Vanguard train, I have 2 a series 1 in 22-250 that will shoot 3 shot 1 hole groups with my handloads and I have a series II in 243 that will shoot under 1/2 in groups with just about anything I load for it up to 100 gr soft points. I will add though that the series II is a bit heavy for my taste as a carry around hunter but for stand hunting and bench shooting its right there.

I've heard almost nothing but high praises for the S2. They are a tad bit on the heavy side, but that's how I prefer my rifles...(odd I know). In my opinion they are attractive rifles in either synthetic or walnut stocked versions. If a true accuracy guarantee is what you are looking for then get an "RC" (range certified) version, the accuracy that I've seen produced by the RC vanguards with my own eyes is terrific. Everything from .223 all the way to .300WBY mag producing anywhere from 1/2" to one ragged hole.

I got my Vanguard S2 about 5 years ago, it's a 243 Win. I've not had any problems getting it to shoot sub MOA with a number of bullet/powder combinations. It impressed me enough I recommended one to a friend and after a range trip he bought one in 270 WSM. His too shoots very well and with his handloads it'll shoot sub .5 MOA three shot groups from a sled. As stated above the only issue is it's a tad heavier than most sporters which depending on how you hunt may matter. I used Weaver Grand Slam mounts and rings on mine and they are the same as is used on M700.

From the standpoint of design I will take a HOWA action over a 700 Remington every time. Weatherby Vanguards have HOWA actions in them.

I only wish they made steel bottom metal and followers for them, but most M700s have alloy bottom metal too.

I have had an S1 in .270 for years. DON'T TRY TO ADJUST THE TRIGGER IN AN S1!!! Just spend about $100 for a Timney and never look back.

Mine shoots great and is a good stand rifle. I think they are heavy to tote around but mine shoots well within their 1 moa guarantee even before the Timney trigger.

If you try to adjust the "mush" out, you will mess up the safety. You don't need to ask how I learned that:D

Back