Weatherby trigger guard screws?

WesternNSW

Inactive
Hello, am l the only person to have fitted a B&C Medalist to a Series 2 S/A Varmint and found the screws were 3-4 threads too shy? So far l have tried B/C, Wyatt, Midwayusa, Brownells, Nioa Trading and several Gunsmiths. Has anyone got any ideas? Please don't suggest a hardware store...

Last edited:
The problem could be the stock. Your factory screws should work. Not a B&C fan. I've had a few, been pleased with none. One had the holes drilled in the stock at an angle and the screws didn't line up with the holes in the receiver. I re-drilled the hole straight and a bit oversize to make it work. I probably should have sent it back.

You may have to remove some stock material in order for the action to set a little lower in the stock and the screws fit.

Yes, its interesting to see different opinions on stocks. l really disliked the original stock from Weatherby and couldn't be happier with the B&C. The fit of both stocks l just purchased for the series 2 and a 700 are beautiful, you know, very good tolerances and fit. The holes haven't been drilled on an angle and are square to the machined face. The rear screw is similar to depth on the original stock also which is only about two treads. To me this is poor and there is room for another 4 threads to seat the screw to what l consider correctly. As is, the series 2 shoots very tight and is a great little work rifle, I'm just a fussy bastard when it comes to engineering. Thanks for your input though, l was starting to wonder if l was alone out there. Stay well jmr40.

Hello, yes l tried Brownells, may have mentioned a few places in my first post. As for machining/milling alloy surface area, well that creates more problems than it solves. Top surface lowers receiver and barrel. Bottom surface seats trigger guard too deep. Increase 40mm to about 43mm in the rear screw size and all is good. Thanks for your time though and stay well.

If you haven't yet, actually call Brownell's, don't just search the catalog. Brownell's is legendary for being knowledgeable and helpful.

Hello, yes the catalogs are fairly long reading, which can be a good thing. l actually emailed all of the companies State side and phoned the gunsmiths here. Its interesting you mentioned Brownells I've copied and pasted a response from B&C `I'm sorry but we only offer longer screws for the Remington 700.
You might check with Brownells'
. I'm not sure to what data you refer but stay well and thank you.

My sig line, "Gee, I'd love to see your date!", comes from a population biology professor I took some classes from. It is a somewhat snide response to such statements such as "The Belchfire Loudenboomer is the greatest (or worst) gun ever!" from people who, if they have any experience with the BL, have very limited experience with a single sample.

Hello, O.K, l understand the data/sample statement and concur with its use. My experience with B&C stocks is limited (only own two) however I'm more than happy with both. This is in fact the reason l purchased the second stock, the first one purchased for the Remington was such a beautiful fit, feel and also visually appealing. Anyway back to Brownells, l agree, very helpful and well stocked, just unable to help me at this point. l have cut and pasted the reply l received from Brownells `We don’t carry many parts for the Vanguard or any metric action screws. You may need to contact Weatherby to find those'. Certainly not as a put down as l respect the company and their help, just as a matter for future reference of inventory. Thank you again for your help and l shall continue to search.

Back