Weatherby SA08 Deluxe

Peppy

Interested in purchasing a 12 gauge Weatherby SA08. Pheasant and clays mostly. Comparing to Remingtons and Mossbergs. Just not sure and looking for some advice/opinions............

I'm shopping, too. Most reports on these Turkish Weatherbys are positive, but it seems as if the prices have crept up to a level that you might as well spend a little more and get an American-made Remington 11-87 or Beretta A300. I'm really not familiar with the Mossbergs.

I purchased a SA-08 in 20 gauge for my son. It's been very reliable for this first season. I have not had it long enough to tell you much more.

It has 2 pistons...one for low power/payload weights and one for more powerful loads. Very easy to break down and clean. Has a lever on the left of the trigger guard to feed a shell from the mag if you want to cycle manually...otherwise when cycling manually the magazine tube is cut off by default. This makes changeovers from a duck to a goose round pretty quick and easy.

For a 500 dollar (at the time) shotgun I have NO complaints.

These were ducks he took after he slipped and fell into the mud with the gun. Checked for barrel obstructions, then crapped up with mud, and all...the gun preformed flawlessly for my kid to take his first ducks (well... a spoonie and a mud hen, lol) The gun cleaned up easily when we got back from the blind and there isn't as much as a hint of rust.

1462879_210327932483399_1855646595_n.jpg

Based on the few I've seen at my local club....they have a spotty record...( and as I recall...they had a number of firing pin issues / and at least one of them was not cycling )...so I can't recommend them.

In terms of shotguns...I think you get what you pay for / and the price of the gun ( compared to cost of targets and shells in a clays gun )...will be the least expensive item in the long run - if you shoot much at all. ( 100 targets on a sporting course and 5 boxes of shells will cost you about $100 )....and even if you only do that 10 times a year, you're at $1,000 ....

In terms of the most reliable semi-autos out there....Beretta, Browning and Winchester have good records on gas guns ...and Benelli on Inertia guns...( and for the most part prices are around $ 800 - $ 2,000 ) depending on what you need.

Last edited:
Nice shot son

Syourbootie - your a good father and your son's a good shot given the mud mishap. It's encouraging the SA-08 behaved well after the mud encounter.

BigJimP & Ohio - you guys make a good point with the cost/value vs the intended use. I'm going to continue to look at other autos, while leaving the SA-08 in the hunt. The other autos are not out of my price range (<$1,200). I really appreciate the advice from those who are closer and more knowledgeable with shotguns.

Back