Weatherby Orion or Franchi Instinct L

hounddog409

Looking for feedback from anyone that owns or has owned either of these shotguns. Newer/current models only.

Looking for a O/U for skeet, 5-stage, and hunting. Looking at these 2 offerings. Have not been able to get my hands on either to get the feel of them.

I looked very close at both a couple years back when I was shopping for an O/U & went with the Franchi. Same price point, didn’t like the glossy finish on the Orion & just didn’t feel as solid in hand, liked the fiber optic bead plus the Franchi comes with a nice case. They’re very close & comes down to personal preference.

I have a Weatherby (SKB) Orion in 20 gauge. I like it very much. It is a nice Upland gun. I have used it successfully at the Trap range and at Sporting Clays.
I do not have the Franchi (I do have a AL48 but not the O/U).

Thanks for the replies.

I am also not a fan of the hi gloss Weatherby uses.
There is a matte version of the Orion i would go with. Now if i can only locate these at a shop.....

Last edited:
You asked for recent ownership/purchases. Another poster referenced his Weatherby (SKB). I have a 20 ga. Weatherby Orion (SKB) too I purchased 20 some years ago. It's a Grade 2 which is the glossier one. I think some time ago Weatherby shifted production of the Orion to Italy. The SKB's were made in Japan. These were also sold under the Ithaca name some years ago. If you can find a SKB model 500 under that name, or the SKB Weatherbys, they are good guns, comparable to a Browning or Beretta (I own both) although I am of the belief that SKB does not produce these anymore. I am not sure who made the Italian Weatherbys.

Back