Weatherby accuracy and reliability

Burnout

Inactive
I've seen a lot of good info in here about the Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, Savage 110; each has it's strengths and weaknesses. One brand I haven't heard much about is the Weatherby. I checked out their website and they said they had accurate, quality rifles. They are light which is good for hunting. I'm looking at a 270 for hunting. I chose the 270 because it is the biggest recoiling rifle I want to shoot. Does the Weatherby tout any special strengths or weaknesses? Such as are they expensive, have a good extractor, quality built, accurate? I'm surprised I haven't heard as much about them as some of the other brands.

I bought a Mark V in 1970, in .30-'06. I mostly bought it because of the strength of the action, assuming I might goof on a reload. 4,000 rounds later, I haven't goofed.

Anyway, I've rebedded the fore-end part of the stock. I put a Canjar trigger on it, as I never could get the Wby trigger to do like I wanted...

Once I got everything working to suit me, it has reliably shot inside one MOA. It doesn't drift off zero while in the gunsafe; the walnut of the stock is very dense and is not moisture sensitive.

A couple of years back I got a 1/2" 3-shot group out of it. Last year, I merely shot twice to check out its sight-in, and it was still where I wanted it.

And it's the gun I used for my "Shameless Brag" post to Reports from the Range...

I used to hunt with a .270, and found the Sierra 130-grain SPBT to be very effective.

Best luck, Art

Ed I am happy you like your mark 5 and this post is not to put it down but for informational purposes A few years ago Jim Sticle of Remington ran blow up tests on all American and European rifles. The mark 5 failed at less chamber pressure than any other rifle. The 9 lugs sheared like dominos . One after an other. They failed at a pressure that you would have to set off with intentions of blowing it up. Weatherby did settle 2 lawsuits because the firing pin broke and the rifles fired with the bolts unlocked. There were serious injury in both cases. When I was making the fiber glass stocks for Weatherby we had an awful lot of trouble with the barrels installed not in line with the receiver. These were when Howa was making them.

Burnout,

Weatherby make a fine rifle, but they are overpriced compared to Remington, Savage and Winchester rifles. I personally like Savage rifles myself. I bought a Savage 110FP in .308 two years ago, mounted a B&L 12x scope and the thing shoots barely over half MOA out of the box with no aftermarket adjustments. I use it primarily for deer and coyote. It is not a rifle that you would care to lug around casually at just over 10 lbs. with sling, scope and Harris bipod, but it suits my purposes just fine. My friend has a Remington custom shop rifle in .308 and his rifle can't touch the Savage in accuracy. Savage was voted the best rifle for out of the box accuracy in 1997. How true is that? I don't know... but everyone I know that owns a Savage routinely tells me that it outshoots all their other rifles that cost twice as much. The average Savage will run you around $400-$500 compared with the average Remingon or winchester that will set you back at least $700-$900.

I stopped at the sporting goods store and talked to the salesman about rifles. I asked him about the Savage and he said he has had some come in with the handle for the bolt action broke off because it is only silver-soldered on. Do you suppose this is true? Savage looks like a good rifle for the money, but I can't help but shake the feeling, "You get what you pay for." Weatherbys are bit expensive, but probably worth it. If I can't shake the feeling of the cost of the Savage, I think I'll go with the Winchester. Mostly it seems it's just personal preference; each brand has its strengths and weaknesses of accuracy, action, etc.

It is true of Remington . I haven't paid any attention to the 110 in a long time but I don't remember if they are. It is no big deal as Remington has brazed them on since the 721 Weatherby guarantee is 1 ½ inch three shot group At a 100 yds

On my Remington, it wouldn't really matter whether or not the bolt is silver-soldered on-- it pretty much only has to lift its own weight and overcome the firing pin spring to cock it-- there's virtually no friction, so it closes like a bank vault door. The strength that I'm interested in in a bolt is the face and the lugs.

Its interesting how folks fall into camps. I know folks who have Weatherbys and will shoot NOTHING else. Then there are folks like Dr. Rob who wouldn't keep one if they were given one; they'd sell it and buy a Savage and a lot of ammo. :)

Gale: Thanks for the info. I had not heard of that test. My Wby was made in Germany...

Back when Rem first came out with the 721, they published some brutal tests: '03, Model 70, Enfield 1917, and the 721, all in '06.

They used a caseful of something like 4895 or 4064, behind a 220-grain bullet. Bye-bye '03.

They then stuffed a 2nd 220-gr bullet into the barrel, and tried again. The Model 70 locked up. The Enfield locked up with a total of three bullets.

They could still open the bolt of the 721 after four bullets...

Gale, Can you share the results of the rest of those Remington blow-up tests? Very interesting info on the Weatherby.

Thanks.

Back