Weatherby 7mm MK 5 Problem

KEYBEAR

I have a Weatherby MK 5 the safety will not engage completely . It is an older Rifle and has not shot in over 10 years . I think the firing pin may have oil and dirt/powder that has gotten hard and not letting it come back to full set ,

Open to thoughts ?

I have had a repair a number of Mk5 safeties over the years. In most cases the safety was not stoned to proper specs when it left the factory.

On a MK5 the safety should cam the striker back about .010" when it's engaged. If the safety only blocks the striker without moving it back it works until it wears just a bit. Then the sear nose is allowed to get in front of the striker and will not allow the safety lever to be set into the "on-safe" position.

Worse is when they get to a halfway point in wear, and the safety then can allow the rifle to fire when you flip it to the off position.

The repair is not hard to do, but you must know how to do it right or you can create a dangerous situation.

It involves stoning either the striker or the sear nose (depending on which one needs to be repaired) so that the safety cam can grab the striker and pull it back as it is locked. The thickness of a playing card is fine, but it MUST be allowed to cam the striker back and lock it.

If you do not understand the internals of the MK perfectly I would advise not trying it yourself. Besides, on safety issues I'd bet Weatherby would be delighted to fix it for you, and I'd bet they'll do it free.

Thank YOU

The Rifle is an older MK 5 and has not been shot much and not at all in the past 10 or more years . The gentleman that had the rifle used it very little and hard telling in he ever lube it . It is hard to tell if he did lube it what he may have used if anything . I am sure the safety has worked in the past . I do not have a manual but can find some info on line ? I may clean the bolt first and if that does not work call Weatherby Monday .

A little up date .

I disassembled the bolt and found some hard crusting around the firing pin .
I cleaned and lube it also removed the safety and cleaned it and used a very little grease on it . I think the hard deposits on the firing pin was keeping the safety from move the firing pin back that small amount it needs to work . The Bolt and Safety work well now it may need looked at in time but feel it is fine now .

"...Bolt and Safety work well now..." Nothing like regular bathing to cure what ails you. snicker. My Plainfield Carbine is the same way. Never had a problem a bath didn't fix.

T. O'Heir

I bought this Weatherby Pre-owned but unfired in about 1980 . I bought it for a brother in law that was to cheap to spend any money but was in love with a nice flat shooting rifle . He has past away (6 years now) and I gave the Weatherby to my son last summer (a hunter) . It is a early Mk 5 And just about 100% but has set for 10 or 15 years . In that time it had zero care and the bore had not been cleaned from the last shot fired . This is the first year center fire Rifle is legal in Indiana for deer . My son is 46 years old so not a kid anymore and I like to see him have some nice stuff .

Back