weather meter

I've often pondered the possibility of investing more heavily into those. But I still keep using my PDL.

(Prayers and Dumb Luck):rolleyes:

Lol i hear ya 10-96!!!

Mine is a mix of science and the WAG method.

I use noaa.gov on the phone, and my own observation/guess to input into Strelok.

I can usually get on paper or steel.

I look out the window. If it's cloudy it'll probably rain or snow.
It's not the weather. It's the wind. That can be guessed at fairly accurately via range flags or mirage.

Not such a big deal for range shooting since you can hang wind flags along the shooting lane. Field shooting is basically a guess since the wind may(will) be different at different points along the bullet's flight.
There used to be compromises involved between flat trajectory over unknown ranges of lighter bullets.and "wind bucking ability" of longer, higher BC bullets. Not so much these days since laser range finders are available and relatively inexpensive. Bullet drop over a known distance is a given so use the bullet that resists wind deflection and hold over the correct amount. There will ALWAYS be the variability of wind gusts and this is the elephant in the room when it comes to long range field shooting.

Back