Wearing a tac belt backwards?

HKguy9

I'm thinking that wearing a tac belt backwards will free up some space up front for more stuff.

Is there a reason against wearing a belt backwards? I read some guys don't like SOB carry because if you fall on your back, you can have some spinal damage. Do I have anything to worry about if the hard part of the belt and my spine has two really heavy pieces of belt between them?

The only problem I can see is getting the thing fastened. Or getting it unfastened in a hurry when nature calls, loudly.

If you just want the buckle out of the way, I think there are belts that have no buckle, just a long strip of elastic. I think they're for competition (like IPSC) or for wearing under police duty belts. You might look for something like that.

I'm way out of date..

Safariland used to make a uniform belt that hooked up with velro... thus no buckle..

Do they still make them,,,, might be an option for you Skunkabilly..

Skunk, I know several guys who use duty belts with the buckle snapped on the back or side to open up the front for mag pouches, dump pouch, etc. I have my rig set up with the buckle on my right side; easy to unsnap, and won't unbuckle itself when shooting/running around. I don't wear the belt so low that it interferes with going to the bathroom, anyway (and I make sure to answer nature's call before shooting too).

It isn't uncomfortable at all. Putting the buckle in the back shouldn't be greatly uncomfortable, and if it is, you're probably wearing the duty belt too tight. If you fall on a Fastex plastic buckle, I doubt it should cause spinal damage, unless your spine was messed up in the first place. I would worry more about the buckle breaking.

Alex Garcias
USMA '03

Back