Wear ?

NOVA CONE

Inactive
I went to look at revolvers at the gun show yesterday and a few cought my eye one 625-4 for around 350.00 and a 629-2 for 350.00 also my question is both of them had led buildup on the right side of what i believe is called the forcing cone not bad build up but some (i can scrape it off easy)is that normal.The lever you push to release the cylinder is kinda loose not crazy loose but they wobble a little on both guns.They both have 98-99% bore and easly can be 100% with some led remover .

Since i have never owned a revolver i dont know if anything i described is bad and a big problem or am i just being retarded

Thanks

Hi NOVA

Tough without seein and feelin em but if they both showed a bit of leading ONLY on the right side of the forcing cone, sounds like they are both out of time. Could be caused by wear on any one or all of several parts involved in rotating and locking the cylinder.

With that in mind, I think you were wise to pass on em.

Sam

Thanks C.R.Sam.

Those was also my thoughts on the subject.It was kinda hard for me to believe when looking the gun's over they have been shot a lot but they look new except for a slight turn ring on each one.

The dealer is like the best and its odd that he did not catch it and tell me because ive been buying autos from this guy for years at his shop and he always tells me even the slighest defect.

On my quest to find a good fill size *&* revolver what should i look for.These revolvers had a .008 gap between the cone and the cylinder is this about right?and if i try should i be albe to turn the cylinder any at all when closed i could move these about .005 is this to much ??

Sorry for all the questions i just dont want to make a big mistake

My first rule of buynig used: Don't buy dirty.

Personally, I won't eat at a dirty resteraunt (even a fast food joint) or buy a dirty used gun.

<snip>not bad build up but some (i can scrape it off easy)is that normal
Even build up (left and right) doesn't always mean disaster. What says trouble in my book is that the seller didn't care enough to do even a basic clean up to remove the lead. I'm not the neatest person in the world, or the greatest gun cleaner, but I do try to make sue I clean stuff like that off. If for no other reason than to get a good look at the condition of the forcing cone. That lead could be hiding a crack.

Ditto what Sam said. You did well to pass.

Back