Weapons laws in Arizona parks and canal bike paths

Revelation76

I ride the bicycle paths along the Arizona Canal in the Metro Phoenix area both in the daytime and at night. It's a great route to avoid the cars, which are a bicyclist's worst enemy. Many times you'll encounter homeless people along the path. I've never had any problems with anyone though. A couple weeks ago there was about 7 or 8 of these guys together under one of the bridges. Once again no problems, but it got me thinking more about carrying a gun with me just in case, since I always ride alone.

The canal path I ride is unique because of the many different rules and regulations that one is subjected to in such a short time. On my route I travel through three different cities- Phoenix, Peoria, and Glendale. It also takes me through city parks, which have different "Parks and Recreation Rules" for guns and knives. You must have a CCW permit to carry a firearm in any of the parks (open carry or concealed), and a 3 1/2 inch maximum blade length is the rule for knives in a couple of these city's parks. I checked out Scottsdale, which also requires a CCW for a gun in a city park, but doesn't seem to allow knives at all. A little bit of research on the subject has paid off to keep me out of legal trouble.

Here's the most annoying part.
All or most (prob ALL) of the canal is U.S. Government owned. Salt River Project is a utility in Arizona that is partially owned by the federal government.
Does anyone know if ANY kind of weapon would be permitted on this path?
There aren't any signs dealing with firearms except when entering parks-(CCW required for guns). There are U.S. Government Property signs, but they don't mention any firearms restrictions, like a post office building would. Federal property concerns me though. :eek:

I'm thinking that not many locals or local police would even know the answer. I'm a native myself, and never thought about this issue until I made this bike route a habit.
I'll probably have to ask some local lawyers and/or Dept of Public Safety people about it.

Thanks for any help I may get on this forum! :)

First, local laws and ordinances may not be stricter than AZ state law on weapons. So, state law says CCW permit holders may carry in state parks, but not open carriers within developed areas of state parks, IIRC. So, you should be just fine.
As for the "canal zone", unless it's a Fed Park or National Monument, I don't BELIEVE it's a prohibited zone. Not posted anywhere, is it?

Back