We don't elect the president. We elect electors.

MeekAndMild

Would anyone here consider voting for an unaffiliated presidential elector who had the stated goal of going to the electoral college and voting for the strongest RKBA candidate left standing toward the end of the night? The elector wouldn't have to be affiliated with either party.

For the primary one would vote for party electors who do the same at the party convention.

I think that this would be a good way for organized gun owners to sway the election in the important states. These electors could have stances on secondary issues designed to win votes but their one core primary issue would be RKBA.

Might be okay. Do not forget that there are many different laws in the variuos states.

There are also many hidden hoops that must be jumped through if you are not a member of either of the "two party" parties.

For instance in Ill IIRC you need 5-10 times as many signatures if you want to be on the ballot if you are a independant instead of a Rep/Dem/Green party member. (The Greens received major party status after the last govenor election :D )

There has been at least one instance of an elector not voting for whom they were supposed to. After that instance some states passed laws regulating elector voting.

NukemJim
PS After thinking about this more I do not think it will work. If effective all the other special interest groups would try the same thing plus I do not know how many people who do not go to internet gun boards base their vote entirely on 2A issues NJ

I do not know how many people who do not go to internet gun boards base their vote entirely on 2A issues NJ

Bet that goes for the ones who go on gunboards too...:D

Life is a tightrope, we are always balancing

WildchinesechefAlaska TM

Bet that goes for the ones who go on gunboards too...

That is true, Wild. According to my entirely unscientific survey about 11% of TFL respondents vote entirely on the basis of RKBA. This is what led me to the present question. It would seem that someone with deep pockets, GOA? NRA? might experiment with strategic placement of a party delegate or a presidential elector who would have primary orientation as RKBA but would otherwise be adapted to his/her state politics, agreeing with the general ethos (how do you like that fifty cent word?) of his/her state.

This has been done before, just not for uncommitted RKBA delegates and electors. I strongly suspect that this is a tactic used by "mainstream" candidates; in my long life of observing politics in the great land of Dixie I've observed many folks who've run for office primarily supported by one or another 'special interest group'. One prime example is "The Honorable" Robert Byrd. you know his history. (Sometimes I remember the scary thought that if for some unknown reason Bush, Chaney and Pelosi should suddenly die this racist politician would be our president.)

Last edited:
Would anyone here consider voting for an unaffiliated presidential elector who had the stated goal of going to the electoral college and voting for the strongest RKBA candidate left standing toward the end of the night? The elector wouldn't have to be affiliated with either party.

Could not happen in Florida based on the way the law is written and the actual electors are selected.

Back