Wc852 powder

Hustler1,

Welcome to the forum. Please pop over here and introduce yourself. Also, please take the time to read the forum rules and, for handloading discussions, in particular, this sticky.

WC852 is sold in canister grade for handloaders as H380, so Hodgdon's data for H380 is the first place to look. I don't know your particular lot number. Bulk lots like yours have more burn rate variation than canister-grade powders do. The canister grade burn rate is held to ±3%, but WC852 loaded into 30-06 M2 Ball ammo (152-grain bullet with minus 3 grains weight tolerance) by the military used as little as 53 grains in some lots and as much as 59 grains in others, so almost ±6%. H380 is closest to the faster military bulk lots, so you should be good with H380 starting loads and then working up, watching for pressure signs until you find out what your lot does.

Please be advised that WC 852 came in TWO different lots.
A slow lot and a fast lot. I have no info which lot is slow or fast.

Those were one pair of lots in the early 1970s, IIRC, and they are what produced the two charges I listed (53 grains and 59 grains). I've also pulled down LC 77 M2 Ball ammo with in-between charges of about 56 grains, so there were additional lots at different times.

I have used WC852 a lot. I can only say I put some very accurate loads together with it, it is very bulky and with my lot, the slow version gave very low velocities.

This burn rate chart has both. They are at positions 203 and 226. Note that H380 is at position 200, and so is most similar to the fast lot for those wanting a sub for their fast WC852 loads. Those two lots will not be the only ones ever surplused out, but they are two large ones that were widely available.

Unclenick, whose burn rate chart is that? It is the first one I have seem that includes WC872, which I use. I found it very interesting that it is close to Retumbo. Specifically, I am curious to try WC872 in 300 WM with 175 FMJ and 220 RN grain bullets. WC872 burns very slow and leaves a trail of coals down the barrel in 308. Duplex loads can cure that.
I suppose that Quickload probably does not include WC872.

Back