Wax Paper and Wool Shotgun Wadding?

deerslayer303

Hey guys got anudder question. On Short Lanes website he has a video of him shooting his shotgun with 209 adapter. In it he is using just wadded up wax paper for the over powder and over shot wad. The pattern isn't all too bad at 20 and 30 yards. And in Dave Canterbury's video he used raw wool for over powder and over shot wadding. I like the simplicity of the wax paper and wool (can't seem to find raw wool locally). What do you guys think?

Bees nest works good for wadding too.Back in the day they would use grass,leavs,leathr,towe.What ever the had at hand.

Well wax paper surely is cheap enough. I'm going to try to take a long beard with my old H&R (my first gun) with the 209 adapter this year. The gun has a full choke barrel. I'll try the wax paper and see how it does. From the videos it looks like they are putting plenty of shot on target using it. Seems like a simpler process then over powder cards and cushion wads.

You just have to try it and see how it goes. Not sure how flammable wax paper is, but keep an eye on those wads when they land on the ground. I have used all kinds of wadding material for general shotgun use (felt, hornet nest, cork, and even wadded up oak leaves), but if you want consistent patterns you need consistent wads. For turkey, I've settled on lubed felt wads about 1/4 inch thick over powder, and 1/8 inch thick over shot in a 10 gauge double with chokes (hard felt regains it's shape after going through a choked barrel).

Since you aren't using hulls, you will want something bigger than a normal 12 gauge wad, perhaps a 10 gauge punch would work for muzzle loading your break barrel 12 gauge shotgun. I would guess that a 3/4" or 20mm wad punch would do. Felt is very forgiving when a bit bigger than the bore size. I have a couple break barrel 12 gauge shotguns so will check them with the wads I cut for my 10 gauge pedersoli. For that, and for 12 gauge magtech brass bulls, I use a 20mm arch punch.

BTW, make sure the felt is 100% wool felt !!! No plastic fibers.

Last edited:
Ok thank you. I have some 1/8" wool from durofelt that I use for punching revolver wads. I can just double up the wads for over the powder

Last edited:
For a few bucks you can get a wad punch off of ebay and you wont be making confetti every time you pull the trigger. There's a lot of things you can make wads out of like cardboard, cork, paper mache egg cartons. Or you can save yourself the hassle and buy wads from Circle Fly http://www.circlefly.com/

I don't know Hawg. There's something satisfying about making your own possibles.

Deerslayer since you are after turkey, you may want to buffer your shot to keep the pattern tighter out further distance.

Simple

You want simplicity? Try using a single type of wad in the field.
I hunt the upland with a 16 gauge flintlock fowler. I carry a pocket full of "mini nitro cards". Two go over the powder and one more over the shot.
Got the idea from the grand old man of BP shotgunning, V.M. Starr.
Pete

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/starr.html

Back