Wather p99 40 cal

gimpster

Inactive
I recently bought a Walther p99 40 cal after firing abut 600 rds. I exp. the slide sliding
back and staying in locked position 2-3 rds. into a full mag. I also noticed premature wear on r.h. side of square part of barrel right in the middle below where it says S&W 40 cal. After disassembly I noticed substantial wear on the inside of slide right below the cut out for the barrel on l.h. side
looking from the back of slide. I hope this makes sense. I measured it and it runs out about .012 and is easy to see. Is this normal or did i get a lemon? I am new to the sport. Has anybody exp. or heard of these problems. Needless to say I sent the gun back. Yea I know I should have bought a Glock.

I also have a P99 .40S&W. My slide locks open randomly as well, even after numerous "fixes". It seem to be a common problem with the .40's. I have not noticed any abnormal wear on mine. The Walther P99 seems to be more show then go!

The P99 was designed for the 9mm Luger round for the West German Police and Military. The retooling for the .40SW came as an afterthought. I'm not suprised that there are bugs in the .40SW model. I have a P99 in 9mm. It is the best pistol I own (and I own several). Absolutely NO problems whatsoever!!

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Back